Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Ban Fritzing  (Read 8482 times)
Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The broad word of electronics would include both theory and practice. If one lacks both and "what it will look when finished" type of diagram would help a lot in my opinion. If you haven't done any type of circuit in your whole life, you would appreciate a capacitor drawn just like the one in your hand, and with a white stripe next to one of the legs. You don't need to know which leg is what polarity and why a certain value of capacitance is used when referring to this beginner's diagram. You are trying to get it built, not trying to perfectly clearly understand it. If you are too old school, the new pedagogical buzz word is experiential learning. Perfect understand prior to circuit assembly is not needed. A schematic tends to assume you know it all prior to laying down a single component. You are viewing this whole thing as an expert. If you think in terms of those that need hands holding through their first circuits, you are viewing this question as a teacher. BTW, your deck schematic looks like the actual material but a typical electronic schematic looks nothing like the actual components. Tell me how I am supposed to compare an N-MOSFET to its symbol to make some sense if I didn't know whether N is north or something else? So I am not allowed to build a simple circuit if I didn't know?

Anyway, a schematic is a poor guide to breadboarding or perfboard the circuit. You should draw a connection diagram to illustrate how you are going to lay out the components onto the holes and how each junction is build. A schematic is a theory. A board view (breadboard, perfboard, PCB) is the actual physical representation of the theory. Something tells me you don't just have theory and call it complete.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

okie then, what is this

n-channel, p-channel, voltage regulator, diode? what? seriously

spoiler its a NTD 2955 P channel FET, you would know that in a schematic, the photo-realistic part is worthless, and a fritzing diagram is not very much help to those who dont have the exact same breadboar/perfboard layout, those caps come in a dozen different sizes with and without stripes, they may have arrows, they may be NP cap's depending on what you get your hands on.

Grab a blue cap with a stripe on it is a poor description of what the thing actually is

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:58:26 am by Osgeld » Logged

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

I just saw this one

but I like to be able to read rather than point at a picture of a big mac and grunt

Very good Osgeld, ten points  smiley-cool

Melbourne, Australia
God Member
View Profile

okie then, what is this

n-channel, p-channel, voltage regulator, diode? what? seriously

Okie then, what is this

555 timer, 8051, OP-amp, voltage regulator? what? seriously

any diagram or schematic is useless without labels.

Windows serial port monitor: Tellurium | Arduino serial port debugging library: DBG | Cusom LCD char generator | Technical questions will only be answered in forum threads

View Profile

Hi...

well, i think this is quite an interesting discussion.

I, for one, DO use Fritzing. I am not proud of it, but i am also not ashamed of it.
I have never studied electronics or anything to do with it and i do my best to try to understand things. I don't want to just copy what other people do, i really enjoy working on my own projects (for which i often need loooooots of help from you guys here at arduino.cc).

Anyway,for me Fritzing is just a tool that allows me to be faster.
When i am "prototyping" something i draw a breadboard diagram by hand or with fritzing. i would love to be able to do that with Eagle but, for now, it is still out of my reach.
One day, maybe, i'll be able to do that using schematics!  smiley-wink

So, what i mean is, if Fritzing (and breadboard diagrams) allow people who are less instructed in electronics to have a way to save and share their projects, than i think that is a good thing!
I do think writing and reading good schematics should be our goal, but meanwhile, Fritzing is one of the best tools I could find.

Here is an analogy:
Maybe many of you play some music. Maybe you play some guitar and can even read chord signs.
Well, i am a professional musician and composer and i think i see that as you see the Fritzing diagrams. Why use chord symbols to strum some pop music in the guitar when you can use actual music notation to play some good music properly?! Well, i guess that allows people to achieve what they want: play an have fun!   smiley-wink

Hmmm, by the way, here is a breadboard diagram and a schematic i just made yesterday for my latest project. Probably it is full of mistakes, but i am trying to learn!!  smiley-wink

So, please, next time you see a Fritzing diagram don't be discouraged. Read the post and see what it is about. Maybe you'll be helping someone learning electronics and, maybe, one day also reading and writing nice schematics...
smiley-wink

Uhhhhh, this is becoming a nice philosophical forum!  =)

Melbourne, Australia
God Member
View Profile

Lovely diagram. I give you an A sharp major for its neatness ;-)

Windows serial port monitor: Tellurium | Arduino serial port debugging library: DBG | Cusom LCD char generator | Technical questions will only be answered in forum threads

View Profile

ahahah, thanks!   smiley-cool

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

That is a good looking schematic. Didn't think that was even possible in Fritzing.
Too small to read as posted, but looks very well organized.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

yea you can actually make a decent schematic, hardly anyone ever does though.

the work process for fritzing is

make it on the breadboard
recreate it in fritzing on its breadboard
whine why it doesnt work and get frustrated when no one can read it
give up OR...
click a button make a schematic, spend a little time and effort to make it nice and neat
click a button to make a PCB file that only works with fritzings convenient service, spend some time to make it nice and neat (and there's the sell they hope to hook you with)

View Profile

That is a good looking schematic. Didn't think that was even possible in Fritzing.

Hmmm, sorry, maybe i didnt explain me right.
I do use Fritzing a lot, but then when i am "finnish" the i try to make a schematic. for the schematic i use Eagle...

i don't think Fritzing is a tool for every job, but it has it's nice uses
smiley-wink

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

As a fellow muso, but most definitely one of diminished ability compared to your good self bogus,  I like your musical analogy.  Fritzing is not as elegant as Eagle, but it still does augment the process of learning electronics  smiley-cool By the way, I think that your Eagle circuit diagram is very well executed,

Pedro.

View Profile

thanks!

Hey, let's make an Arduino Super Instrument to play music together over the internet!!!
then we can mix music and electronics!  smiley-wink

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

boguz, I like the way you think. Who needs Madison Square Garden when you've got the Internet right at your fingertips  smiley-lol

View Profile

smiley-lol

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

And for another perspective; this topic has been around for a while

http://ruggedcircuits.com/blog/?p=225#comment-24

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Jump to: