Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Control Arduino with Canon Camera  (Read 5382 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am working on the same problem, while creating a intervalometer with an arduino is pretty straight forward, the functionality of the bulb ramping of Magic Lantern is worth letting the camera control the slider.  I'm using a belt drive stepper motor to move my slider and this seems to produce some vibration, so I'm going to use the ML bulb ramping function to do a Move Shoot Move arrangement. This will minimize image blur since the shutter is only open when the camera is stationary.  Does anyone have a pin out of the hot shoe for a Canon EOS 60d? Are you sure the pin-outs are optoisolated from the camera. I don't care that much about my Arduino board as long as it doesn't kill my camera. 

I'm so confidence on my measurements as I can be.
I am going to use the 5 volt on center pin, and shorted to ground as a "hold" signal.
100% NO. but confidence enough to try it on my 550d, YES smiley

I have a TF-326 Flash Hot Shoe to PC Sync Adapter for CANON, and going to use it to an analog input on the arduino, had some problems when it was connected on a digital pin on my test rig (it could not sense the "open" circuit. so it only got one "hold" when camera was triggered.)

I got my stand alone arduino and a usb programmer a while ago, but i cant make the usb programmer do its work, so i have ordered a standard uno, which i steal the ship from, and use the arduino board as a programmer instead smiley

I hope you manage to do what you want it to, and please feel free to ask.
I'm sorry for late updates, just finished school, and been trolling for a decent work lately, but these Monday, MAGIC smiley-grin I got a job smiley
I think we are on the same page on these project smiley

South UK
God Member
View Profile

interesting project here. I think I will keep an eye out for the 7D version of magic lantern!

View Profile

I'm building a shoot move shoot rig. When using the hotshoe's busy signal i notice a considerable delay after releasing the shutter button. i hooked up the gnd and +5v directly to the arduino. Any thoughts anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0L_gNioTOA

Bottom line in display says: 'Camera shutter open'. You can hear the shutter and see the delay.

Edison Member
If you're not living on the Edge, you're taking up too much space!
View Profile

Going back many months...  There is no need for the camera to control the Arduino.  Yes, the Bulb ramp function in ML is cool.  I know, because I helped write it!  But it is trivial to do the same thing in C using manual shutter mode instead.  Again, the data only needs to go one way, from Arduino to camera.  Yes, there is a delay.  You can calculate it experimentally, it is constant.  Then anticipate it in the code. 

I take it back, you cannot write the Bulb ramp code on the arduino without access to the exposure data.  But there is no need for it if you set the exposure correctly.  You only need exposure data to determine how long the shutter is open.  You can make some maximum assumptions to avoid knowing this. 

Or just ignore it completely!  Assuming an exposure of less than 20 seconds, just move the slider slowly without synching.

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

View Profile

I appreciate your input but i am not looking for another way to make my project work. I want it working my way. I'm a little stubborn... guilty!  smiley-wink

When i set up the camera in manual mode, imho it should not be necessary to copy the shutter time setting to the camera by hand.

The way i want my rig to work:

1. Arduino tels canon to take a picture
2. Canon tels arduino the shutter closed (picture taken)
3. Arduino tels dc motor to start turning
4. CNY70 encoder on pulley tels arduino how far pulley has turned
5. Arduino tels dc motor to stop turning
6. Arduino tels canon to take a picture
7. Canon tels arduino the shutter closed (picture taken)
8. ... you see where this is going don't you ;-)

Only thing that needs to be set up in the arduino is the number of pictures and the total duration of the process. Arduino should calculate how far to turn the pulley after each shot and how long the delay should be between shots. If the delay is constant i could do a few initialisation shots before starting the actual sequence so the arduino can determine the shutter speed. Or is the delay the same for every Canon? 60D?

Bulb ramping is fase 2. Haven't given it much thought... well actually i have but can't seem to figure out how to set it up in ML. smiley-grin LRTimelapse holy grail workflow is working for me.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: