Go Down

Topic: Close keyboard contacts from Arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

May 26, 2013, 03:12 am Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:59 pm by xovez Reason: 1

I need to control a system wich have a keyboard from Arduino, simulating the push of its keys.
How can I close the contacts of the keys from Arduino? Using an optocoupler?

I do not know if I can use an optocoupler, and if where possible, wich model to use.

Note: I measured that when I push a key in the keyboard, its contacts aren't closed with a 0 Ohm resistence, but they are closed with about 55-75 Ohm.

Any ideas? schematics? Has anyone tried it?

PD: I attach a picture the keyboard contacts

what voltage is the device

could use a transistor, collector on non common pad, emitter on ground, 1k to base with the arduino on the other side

Thanks Osgeld

The device voltage is about 3.5v - 5v.
You suggest a simple NPN ? like a 2N2222???

The common pad is not ground. The pads make a matrix with common on columns and rows (like the attached image).

Your suggested solution can work properly anyway?

Or a bunch of little relays. Here's a 1284 driving 15 relays, design had 18 originally, 3 were removed for some other expansion.
USB and RS232 interfaces.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Thanks CrossRoads for your suggestion. Simple to develop, but my circuit must be installed inside other device and I haven't space to place about 14-15 relays :)

I readed the datasheet that sais Telecommando, the CD4066. Seems an interesting solution, but for simplicity and availability of components in my city, I prefer using a few simple optocoupler. Do you know any recommended model? Can it be a valid 4N35 or TIL116?

given your image you could do it with 16 transistors, theres a common ABCDE and 1234

given the jack squat current configurations for this type of layout you could accomplish it with a transistor array in a dip format

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131