Go Down

Topic: FTDI basic breakout upload problem (Read 873 times) previous topic - next topic

ifugaopapercraft

I want to upload with an FTDI breakout board to this cheap board. The driver is installed on my Mac book but the sketch won't upload. The appropriate pins are connected. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

CrossRoads

What do you have connected?
Common issues:
Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx, are swapped.
No 100nF/0.1uF cap between FTDI's DTR and board's Reset - requires manual reset
Gnds not connected.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

ifugaopapercraft

Sorry, here is a dumb question; when you say, "grounds not connected," I assume this is from the breakout pin to the Arduino? Can DTR be omitted altogether, at least for testing?

CrossRoads

Yes, Gnd on breakout board must be connected to Arduino/equivalent board.
DTR can be omitted; Reset on Arduino/equivalent must be pressed when IDE shows "compiled xxx of 32xxx bytes", might take  a few tries to find the right time.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up