Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: FTDI basic breakout upload problem  (Read 714 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I want to upload with an FTDI breakout board to this cheap board. The driver is installed on my Mac book but the sketch won't upload. The appropriate pins are connected. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

View Profile

Oops forgot the link.   http://baligena.com/shop/barebones-arduino-board/

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

What do you have connected?
Common issues:
Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx, are swapped.
No 100nF/0.1uF cap between FTDI's DTR and board's Reset - requires manual reset
Gnds not connected.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Sorry, here is a dumb question; when you say, "grounds not connected," I assume this is from the breakout pin to the Arduino? Can DTR be omitted altogether, at least for testing?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Yes, Gnd on breakout board must be connected to Arduino/equivalent board.
DTR can be omitted; Reset on Arduino/equivalent must be pressed when IDE shows "compiled xxx of 32xxx bytes", might take  a few tries to find the right time.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

The 1st pin on the left is VCC
2nd pin: GND
3rd pin: RESET/DTR
4th pin: RX
5th pin: TX

Now I also have a simple programmer.  

The driver should automatically install when you connect the programmer to your computer however if it doesn't you'll need to install it manually. see link below.
http://baligena.com/setting-up-driver-for-breakout-board-for-ft232rl-usb-to-serial/

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:43:22 pm by baligena » Logged

View Profile

Thanks for the advise, Baligena. I sent you a message from your web store about this question. Appears that I have set it up correctly. This is the FTDI board.  http://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=186   I assumed the chip is Uno but have also chosen other 328 options with the same result. I am uploading to a Mac.  Any other possible mistakes?  Are you selling the programmer in the video?

Keith

View Profile

Still wrestling with this breakout board. If I understand this tutorial,  https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/224 TX from the board should connect to Arduino RX, TX to Arduino RX?  The sketch doesn't upload, even if this is part of the problem. Whew! Getting a little frustrated. Also, I have read something about connecting both RX and TX for testing but don't understand the details. 

View Profile

When RX and TX are joined, the IDE says "download complete" but the simple "blink" sketch doesn't blink.

View Profile

I am uploading with a Mac. Would that be a problem? 

View Profile

When your trying to upload the sketch this way you will need to press the reset button right before it says "uploaded" on the IDE.  Its kind of a hit and miss situation that why it good to have a programmer that connects to the reset/DTR pin so it will reset when its ready. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:48:32 pm by baligena » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

That's what I suggested in replies #2 & #4.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: