Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Keep weapons off Arduino forum and website  (Read 8699 times)
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

And just to forestall any trolls, I am totally behind not just background checks but far stricter checks than what have been. I am totally against instant gun show sales. I want people to have to pass a rigorous gun safety course before they can own a gun and I want people who leave a gun where a child can get it to face jail time. Under your pillow is not a place to keep a pistol.

Arduino gun project I would love to see: fingerprint trigger/action locks.

You can't be responsible if you're ignorant. Mandating ignorance is not a solution but rather a means to get to the next tragedy, and the next, repeat until change.

Examples can be found in your IDE.

South Texas
Edison Member
View Profile

Interesting that the problem is just guns... Archery bows and crowwbows are just as deadly, and much quieter....

Take any gun and place it on a table. No-one will ever get hurt by it. Place it in a human hand and anything becomes possible.

The problem is that we choose to blame objects for our sinful condition. Human beings do not have to be taught to do evil. We are selfish and cruel from birth and need to be taught to be otherwise. The problem in our culture in not guns/knives/rocks/baseball bats, but rather our human nature and instinct to use them for evil. Take away guns and we will develop much more hideous ways to maim, kill and destroy. This technology we all use every day is capable of being used for the planning of much evil and perversion. Should we collect and destroy computers because the evil and perverts use it for evil means? And there are probably more perverts using the internet for evil than their are peole taking guns and using them for evil.

It is kind of like the outrage that was expressed over the death of Trayvon Martin. How many young black men are killed in Chicago and Detroit every week and no-one makes a sound about it. But one young man gets killed by a neighborhood watch person and the country is in flames. It would appear the young black men are supposed to be able to kill young black men. No on makes any noise about that! But one man who is caucasian kills a black man and it couldn't possible be self defense. Where is the outrage over all the other young black men killed every week?

Where is the outrage over the number of people killed by clubs and baseball bats. Where is the outrage over people killed by knives? Where is the outrage over people killed by drunk drivers?

Maine
Caution: Explosives in use.
View Profile

And just to forestall any trolls, I am totally behind not just background checks but far stricter checks than what have been. I am totally against instant gun show sales. I want people to have to pass a rigorous gun safety course before they can own a gun and I want people who leave a gun where a child can get it to face jail time. Under your pillow is not a place to keep a pistol.

Arduino gun project I would love to see: fingerprint trigger/action locks.

You can't be responsible if you're ignorant. Mandating ignorance is not a solution but rather a means to get to the next tragedy, and the next, repeat until change.

The problem with the "gun show loophole" is that it has nothing to do with gun shows. Private sales of firearms are legal, theres no way to ban this without assigning a police officer to shadow every person in the world. Fingerprint locks are good in theory, but all it has to do is fail once and get a police officer killed, and thats off the table.

At least in my state, leaving a firearm where a kid can get access to it is a crime.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

UCSB
Just a college girl interested in robots!!
View Profile

I'd like to know why you guys think we need guns! I mean we're no longer competing with our specific environment for survival (at least not most of us anyway) so why do we need guns that would have lions and tigers and bears running frantically in the opposite direction. If guns are solely for enjoyment and protection, then wouldn't paintball guns, bb guns, and airsoft guns fulfill those needs? I don't think anyone needs an automatic AK47 under their pillow in order to sleep soundly...you know.. unless the safety button was accidentally off smiley-wink

/) /)
( ^.^ )
C(") (")

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I'd like to know why we all should be clueless children by law if some people get their way.

God Member
"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics" Homer J. Simpson
View Profile

I'd like to know why we all should be clueless children by law if some people get their way

The Law is an ass. But depending on where you are the Law either says you must have a gun, must not have a gun or does not care if you have a gun.

I think the problem is a bit like political candidates;
The person who thinks they will make a good politician is the person who should not be one.
The person who thinks they can own a gun responsibly is the person who should not have one.

I enjoy guns, and have used them from an early age, but their primary purpose is as a weapon they are not a "tool".
The issue is perhaps not the gun itself or even ownership of the gun but easy access to the weapon 24 x 7.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Thank you for deciding for me what I think as well as what to think.
Thank you for deciding that over 40 years of my experience is worthless.

Truth is, no the word isn't thank but it does end with k.

Now, what office are you running for so I can vote against your BS?

Maine
View Profile

I'd like to know why we all should be clueless children by law if some people get their way

The Law is an ass. But depending on where you are the Law either says you must have a gun, must not have a gun or does not care if you have a gun.

I think the problem is a bit like political candidates;
The person who thinks they will make a good politician is the person who should not be one.
The person who thinks they can own a gun responsibly is the person who should not have one.

I enjoy guns, and have used them from an early age, but their primary purpose is as a weapon they are not a "tool".
The issue is perhaps not the gun itself or even ownership of the gun but easy access to the weapon 24 x 7.

I'd argue that the real issue is society. There is some psychological trigger than causes violence. I drive through crowded areas every day on my way to class. At any point in time, I could turn the steering wheel 10 degrees and murder no less than 25 people in less than 3 seconds. I could crash into a school bus and kill 20 - 100 children in less than one second. What could be easier than that? What keeps me and billions of other drivers from doing this every single day?

I'd also argue that the person that thinks they can store a gun safely is not the problem,. The problem is the people that don't think they have to store a gun safely. I.e. the gangbangers that shoot their nuts off while taking a pistol out of their waistband.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:00:33 pm by wizdum » Logged

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

God Member
View Profile

Thank you for deciding for me what I think as well as what to think.
Thank you for deciding that over 40 years of my experience is worthless.

I said what think.
Your experience is not worthless.

I am not running for office so you don't need to worry about the BS.
I like guns but I don't own one so you don't need to worry about that either.

God Member
View Profile

What keeps me and billions of other drivers from doing this every single day?

I suspect there are more people murdered by vehicle drivers (and more drivers commit suicide) than we realise.
However a vehicle is primarily a method of transport and when people use them they are going from A to B even if they are drunk, angry or a bit unbalanced for some reason.

Assuming a person is drunk, angry, or unbalanced what are they trying to do when they pick up a weapon be it a gun or a sword?
It does not really matter if earlier in the day they locked it nicely away. The person can be intelligent, well meaning, law abiding, well versed in managing weapons, the problem is easy access at the wrong time.

Maine
View Profile

What keeps me and billions of other drivers from doing this every single day?

I suspect there are more people murdered by vehicle drivers (and more drivers commit suicide) than we realise.
However a vehicle is primarily a method of transport and when people use them they are going from A to B even if they are drunk, angry or a bit unbalanced for some reason.

Assuming a person is drunk, angry, or unbalanced what are they trying to do when they pick up a weapon be it a gun or a sword?
It does not really matter if earlier in the day they locked it nicely away. The person can be intelligent, well meaning, law abiding, well versed in managing weapons, the problem is easy access at the wrong time.

Then the problem is the person, not the easy access to weapons. How many gun store owners go on shooting rampages? How many police officers? They have incredibly easy access to weapons.

God Member
View Profile

Then the problem is the person, not the easy access to weapons

Yes and no. The problem is the person but they will pass all the tests - no criminal record, no history of mental illness, stable member of society, etc. etc. etc. So the only control you have is is the access to the weapon. You either ban he weapon, or you prevent the person having direct control of access to the weapon.

As to why gun shop owners and the police don't cause problems I can make two suggestions;
  • Do they have direct access to the weapons after they leave work
  • What percentage of the population are they and what percentage of the problem do they cause

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

There should be much stronger background checks and waiting periods. And I should buy stock in Smith & Wesson, Federal, Remington, etc, because every time there's a gun control push, sales of guns and ammo go right through the ionosphere.

More Cowbell
Edison Member
View Profile

I drive through crowded areas every day on my way to class. At any point in time, I could turn the steering wheel 10 degrees and murder no less than 25 people in less than 3 seconds. I could crash into a school bus and kill 20 - 100 children in less than one second. What could be easier than that? What keeps me and billions of other drivers from doing this every single day?

From some of the terrible accidents I have seen on the news, I would say you are greatly overestimating the damage of these collisions.  Not that they are good in any way, but even the worst ones end up with a few dead and many injured.  Especially with the bus, unless you end up sending it over a cliff.  Busses are well built, and even in roll-over accidents the kids almost always survive, mostly with psychological injuries.  Maybe it's because they are all young and light.  No 300 pound lady to land on you in exactly the way it would happen on a MegaBus. smiley
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:13:21 pm by JoeN » Logged

Vexatious Sampler

Maine
View Profile

I drive through crowded areas every day on my way to class. At any point in time, I could turn the steering wheel 10 degrees and murder no less than 25 people in less than 3 seconds. I could crash into a school bus and kill 20 - 100 children in less than one second. What could be easier than that? What keeps me and billions of other drivers from doing this every single day?

From some of the terrible accidents I have seen on the news, I would say you are greatly overestimating the damage of these collisions.  Not that they are good in any way, but even the worst ones end up with a few dead and many injured.  Especially with the bus, unless you end up sending it over a cliff.  Busses are well built, and even in roll-over accidents the kids almost always survive, mostly with psychological injuries.  Maybe it's because they are all young and light.  No 300 pound lady to land on you in exactly the way it would happen on a MegaBus. smiley

I'm not talking about a collision (except for the school bus). I'm talking about the 25 people standing on a street corner, waiting for a chance to cross the road (to my college campus). I could cut the wheel at the last second and take out the whole group. Since I drive a pickup truck, my bumper and radiator are chest level for an average 18 - 45 year old. You don't walk away from that kind of impact.

With people using smartphones they way they do now, I probably wouldn't even have to wait till the last second. I could drive down 3 miles of sidewalk before someone looked up.

Maybe school busses are different where you live, but here they are essentially tin cans. The students don't get seat belts, and the side walls bow out when students push on them. The speed limit around here is also 45 - 55mph, unless you're on the highway.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Jump to: