Go Down

Topic: h bridge and dc motor (Read 362 times) previous topic - next topic

timmie

Hello,

for my project i am using a small dc motor, works good on 3 volts. We are using a l293 h bridge to control the direction. We have the same thing with a 12 volt dc and 12 volt electromagnet, they work like a charm. But the small one doesnt work and the h bridge gets so hot I burned my fingers. I am absolutely sure the wiring is correct because it is the same as the other motor. I tried switching h bridges and I tried a l293dne h bridge, which i think is the same. Code is as simple as possible, write one pin high and the other low.
Power source provides 3 volts (also tried with higher voltages) and maximum 2 A.
The motor works when the power is direct to it. Last time I measured the values on the dc with h bridge was 0.5V but I also saw 3V once.

Should I go with relais or something?

thanks

HazardsMind

May 30, 2013, 02:05 pm Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:00 pm by HazardsMind Reason: 1
Can you take some pictures of your setup, and a schematic?

It will need a heat sink. check this link.
My GitHub:
https://github.com/AndrewMascolo?tab=repositories

Henry_Best

Hello,

for my project i am using a small dc motor, works good on 3 volts. We are using a l293 h bridge to control the direction. We have the same thing with a 12 volt dc and 12 volt electromagnet, they work like a charm. But the small one doesnt work and the h bridge gets so hot I burned my fingers. I am absolutely sure the wiring is correct because it is the same as the other motor. I tried switching h bridges and I tried a l293dne h bridge, which i think is the same. Code is as simple as possible, write one pin high and the other low.
Power source provides 3 volts (also tried with higher voltages) and maximum 2 A.
The motor works when the power is direct to it. Last time I measured the values on the dc with h bridge was 0.5V but I also saw 3V once.

Should I go with relais or something?

thanks

3V motors don't work (reliably) with the L293.
See http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=26873 for more info.
The Adafruit Motor Shield uses L293s

Go Up