Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wifi Dongle  (Read 771 times)
Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

This dongle is going is going for $AU 32 and uses a standard RJ45 connection.

http://www.dragonext.com/wifi-wireless-dongle-bridge-adapter-edm4.html?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Clearance%200319&utm_content=edm0530

If you already have an ethernet shield, could this be used to convert to WiFi?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

If you already have an ethernet shield, could this be used to convert to WiFi?
What are you going to plug that USB end into?

View Profile

He's going to plug that into a USB power supply. Yes, you should be able to connect that to an Ethernet shield. You should be able to connect most WiFi routers to the Ethernet Card. A TP-Link TL WR 703n works fine here for example.

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

Yes, you should be able to connect that to an Ethernet shield. You should be able to connect most WiFi routers to the Ethernet Card. A TP-Link TL WR 703n works fine here for example.

Thanks. I have ethernet shields and used to have cable connect to my router for test purposes, but it is not practical for proper operations.  I haven't been too keen on getting a wifi shield, they seem to be both expensive and troublesome.  This device seems to be a promising shortcut - both for hardware and software!

I have now seen it even cheaper on eBay. It comes with a CD but it seems that is only required to set it up for your network.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Nick,

I am quite curious about this type of device, thanks for bringing them up. Would be nice if someone with such a device shared some experience. I am having some trouble with arduino wifi shield R3. This might be an alternative. I wonder how the dongle gets the SSID and password from the ethernet card/arduino ethernet shield.

Did some searching so this is how much it actually costs on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WiFi-Bridge-Dongle-Wireless-For-XBox-PS3-RJ45-Laptop-VOIP-AP-Vonets-VAP11G-/290721790664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b05e7ac8

I am tempted to give it a try, although I don't have an ethernet shield. My wife has a voip phone that can use this. Microsoft and Cisco are at odds. You can NOT do internet connection sharing if you are connected to cisco vpn. So if you want to use Ethernet port with voip phone, it is dead once you are connected to cisco vpn. Must be some business decision.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:20:56 am by liudr » Logged

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

OK. I have done some more looking and now put my money where my mouth is.

While I believe the Vonets is a goer to put Arduino onto WiFi, I think this is a better bet

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300Mbps-300M-Mini-Wireless-WiFi-Router-Repeater-Network-Range-Expander-Amplifier-/350786460622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item51ac809bce

and I have just bought one.

While the Vonets has the right purpose, it appears to be single purpose.  This device is multi-purpose, incorporates its power supply and is generally better thought out - all for just a few dollars more. I buy it reasonably secure in the knowledge that, if it won't deliver for the Arduino, I can use it as a repeater. This means I should be able to use my crappy tablet, which actually has an excellent email facility, at breakfast outdoors.

I believe this device is a Baiyuyi but goes under at least one other name - Satechi. I also believe it is a tarted-up version of the crescent-shaped repeater seen a lot on eBay. It appears that the vital words in the technical description are "client mode" which, simply put, implies that it adds wifi capability to a swag of network-ready devices - like an Arduino+Ethernet shield.   

Within the limits of my expertise I was planning to have a Uno talk via NRF24 to a Mega which is connected to the Internet. The Baiyuyi forces a re-think of just about everything but there is one essential goal - to get the data up on Xively. If the Baiyuyi works, it means I can do the job with just one Arduino.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Great! Thanks for sharing Nick! I decided to order the one you first pointed out just for my wife (maybe play with that once I get an ethernet shield). The second one IS fancier and does more than the first one does. Well, the one I bought WILL be tied to a voip phone anyway so I will have to get another one for myself smiley-wink Will post back how the first one works out with voip phone.

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

maybe play with that once I get an ethernet shield)

Hopefully swimming with the tide, and getting a W5100 shield.........

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I will get an official arduino ethernet shield. They seem to have decent support and quality.

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

They use the W5100. That, and the length of the pins, is probably all you need to know.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: