Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Distorted Sound from Keyboard Project in The Arduino Starter Kit  (Read 2604 times)
When life gives you lemons, construct a crude electrochemical battery.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I am currently working on the keyboard project (#7) in the official arduino starter kit. However, with 3 out of the 4 keys the sound turns on and off quickly when I hold the button (sound is not constant). I changed all resistors and wires but I am still getting the same effect. Then I saw the video by Massimo Banzi doing the same project and he is also getting the same effect when pressing the higher frequency button. Here is the link to the video: (skip to 6:30 to just hear sounds). Why is this? Is it fixable? I attached my code just in case although I checked it several times. Thanks.

* _7_Keyboard.ino (0.49 KB - downloaded 7 times.)

When life gives you lemons, construct a crude electrochemical battery.
View Profile

Well I fixed my problem but I am not sure why this fixes it. I unplugged the arduino from the computer and powered it with a 9V battery and problem solved. I then unplugged the battery and powered the arduino via USB again and I got the same issue. Why does power via USB cause this?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

USB only provides 500mA, 9V battery thru onboard regulator can provide up to 800mA.
Maybe the design needs more current?

Or, maybe the Serial.print statements interfere with smooth output. Try turning it off connected to the PC.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: