[Update] Tellurium: serial monitor

After the flood of responses to my query, I have decided I will probably demo the debug library with this tutorial: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

After the flood of responses to my query

Not uncommon, I started a thread the other and not a single response :slight_smile:

Rob

Graynomad:

Not uncommon, I started a thread the other and not a single response :slight_smile:

Rob

And you can't seem to list threads started by a user any more, so I can't find it to post in it for you.

I get there's not a lot of excitement / interest about this app I've written, so it's no problem.

Is the market big for the Arduino - or is the bell curve skewed towards the beginner with 0 programming experience regardless of size? I have seen more than a few balance robots demoed on youtube but someone here managed to successfully launch a kickstarter for a balance robot. Curious.

I am sure there is more people interested. Since you haven't put up any files for people to look at it first hand*, they may not have anything to say yet.

I have looked at most of the free monitors out there and they just don't seem right for me. I have outgrown the Arduino Serial Monitor and looking for something with a few more features.

*There have been members here that state they have a perfect program/software they are developing, then after a while, they are never heard from again.

codlink:
I am sure there is more people interested. Since you haven't put up any files for people to look at it first hand*, they may not have anything to say yet.

I have looked at most of the free monitors out there and they just don't seem right for me. I have outgrown the Arduino Serial Monitor and looking for something with a few more features.

*There have been members here that state they have a perfect program/software they are developing, then after a while, they are never heard from again.

Cheers mate. I hear you on the fly by nighters, I have found you get that in all forums.

My problems are

1. perfectionism
  2. brainstorming success

I think of more enhancements (to do things I need, let alone want) and the development continues...

I'll aim to get something useable / testable by the end of the weekend and post a link to a download.

It's only one exe but I'll probably do an installer so it can be easily uninstalled.

What would be the three functions you want the most in a monitor?

Right now, I am looking for just the basics.

Be able to stop the scroll
Maybe delay the scrolling (adjustable)
Non blocking.

Those are what I need right now.

I will probably post more as I remember my thoughts from looking and testing other monitors.

non-blocking?

HEX printing of control chars and/or just a full stop printed in a control char's place so you can see the activity. eg

WERTY..ASDFF.XCVB..

indicating two TABs after the first block, one TAB after the second and a trailing CR/LF

Rob

Ah dear. The wonders of programming in multiple languages... I wanted to throw together a quick sketch to see which characters would print. so I did this:

Serial.println("ASCII characters:");
    for (byte b = 1; b < 256; b++) {
        Serial.print((int)b);
        Serial.print(" = ");
        Serial.println((char)b);
    }

Yes. That is an infinite loop. Spent the last n minutes going bonkers trying to work out why...

Phew!

Results soon.

Took me a second or two :slight_smile:

Graynomad:
Took me a second or two :slight_smile:

First thing I do in my sketches is turn pin 13 off - it's too bright with the board right next to me... and now that pesky Tx LED is staying on. So I knew what was happening, just not why...

for (int i = 0; i < 256; i++) {
        Serial.print((int)i);
        Serial.print(" = ");
        Serial.print((char)i);
        if (((i+1) % 12) == 0) Serial.println("");
        else Serial.print((char)9);

Raw ascii output - minimal replacements:

Same sketch output, showing a couple of optional replacements:

I see I missed #1 the first time around - that's been fixed now.

byte b = 0xFF;
    do
    {
      ++b;
        Serial.print((int)b);
        Serial.print(" = ");
        Serial.println((char)b);
    }
    while ( b != 0xFF );

Not uncommon, I started a thread the other and not a single response

Definitely not uncommon. For a few years folks had wanted good Arduino support for ATtiny processors. In other words there was a significant pent up demand. Despite the pent up demand, it took about six months for Tiny Core downloads to get past 100. Now there are dozens to hundreds of downloads a day. For whatever reasons, it takes time for new Arduino things to take off.

Looks promising, I see the double TAB on the first line :), can't be helped if you aren't replacing them I guess.

So the dots delimit the various formats of each character?

Rob

Thanks for the code snippet - your username is misplaced, methinks :smiley:

Appreciate the background / historical experience reality check.

Graynomad:
Looks promising, I see the double TAB on the first line :), can't be helped if you aren't replacing them I guess.

So the dots delimit the various formats of each character?

Rob

Dots are the character I am replacing non-printable characters with. Based on user selection (check the 3 push down buttons at the top of each capture), spaces, tabs and CR/LF characters can be replaced. By default, all characters that appeared as blanks when I first ran the sketch are replaced with dots.

It's nearly 3AM in east Oz so I guess you've hit the sack :slight_smile:

Three things, you need to be able to set the radix of the numerical char value, just 10 and 16 I would think.

A mode that only prints the HEX or DEC of the chars with a space between each one, for binary data the ASCII is not important.

And a mode that only prints a . for non-ASCII chars, a bit like the right side of a HEX/ASCII dump.

Rob

I guess you've hit the sack

I guess not :slight_smile:

So with

60.=.<.

you printed spaces so where are the non-printing chars in the transmitted data?

EDIT1: Oh, you consider a any white space as non-printing

EDIT2: Now I'm going to hit the sack.

EDIT3: Don't mind me, the SPACE toggle was pressed.

I'm really off this time.

Rob

Oh that's just a straight raw ascii dump. I'll do some sort of hex / decimal dump later...

At the risk of bumping my thread for no new content :zipper_mouth_face: is the stratgey of updating my first post with download link and ongoing details ok? Or should I just add new posts as I go?

I have a sticky thread where I always put the latest version of the documents in the first post. Don't know if that's officially the right thing to do but I seem to recall being asked to do that.

Rob