Go Down

Topic: Dealing with Audio Interference (Read 551 times) previous topic - next topic

Constantin

Some time ago, I posted here a diagram / pics of a UPS kit that powers the home phone base station and charges 2 iPhones at 1A thanks to the detective work at Adafruit. Yesterday, I finally got around to assembling the last bit, i.e. building a connector between the board and the base station. I've never had to solder connectors before, so this was a new experience for me. Anyhow, it all worked eventually, with one quirk: Noise!

Specifically, if the base station is powered using the standard wall-wart (looks and feels like a linear power supply), the voice channels are clear as a bell. Power the base station using my rig and there is a lot of background noise - basically static. I presume this is EMI entering via the power supply as the noise does not change as a function of distance, etc. of the base station to the power supply.

What would be your suggestion on how to best fix this? I have a number of old external clamp-style ferrite cores lying around, so my first inclination is to add one, wrap the wires around it a couple of times and see what happens. Similarly, I'm also considering retrofitting a capacitor on the output side, even if Dimension Engineering claims that "It has integrated decoupling capacitors, so external capacitors are not generally necessary". If you'd add a decoupling capacitor, I assume you'd want a small 0.1uF ceramic unit to hold in the noise?

HugoPT

Can you have access to a scope?
It could be a ripple problem or perhaps a bad linear VCC. A scope will give you your answer
Debian,Mint,Ubuntu
Arduino Mega 2560
Arduino Nano
Arduino Duemilanove
MAC OS Montain Lion
Raspberry PI Model B

Constantin

Can you have access to a scope?
It could be a ripple problem or perhaps a bad linear VCC. A scope will give you your answer

No linear regulator - the switch-mode power supply doesn't feature one. I checked the signal out on a scope and saw a bit of ripple. Dimension Engineering suggested retrofitting a 1000uF capacitor, which seems somewhat counterintuitive - I would have thought an inline inductor would make more sense?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy