Feeling interest for a WiFi shield

Hi!

I'm trying to help while waiting for my Wifi board...

What happens if the Arduino calls a webpage at regular intervals? Instead of being called...

Franck

BenQuark

A ping from the server every 5 minutes worked for a couple of hours, then the board locked up. The LED stayed on, but the shield stopped responding.

So I ran 1 second interval pings overnight and its still connected 29,000 pings later (8 hours).

I'm out of ideas, so if you can add an ARP client to the stack then periodic refreshes might solve the problem.

The reconnect sequence isn't working so can that be removed and the board programmatically reset if the connection drops?

I won't recommend doing a complete board-reset, as people could use some variables which would be removed!
If neccessary, you should be able to choose between board-reset or not (disconnect from AP, and then the Arduino is just on)

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decypher the library so I can open up a standard TCP port and send data to a remote host.

Can anyone give me any hints. Using a web-server on the arduino side seems very heavy for what I need

@John_Ryan

It would be great if you can capture some information regarding the case which causes the disconnection. In the code change I suggested, there are only three cases which cause the LED to go off when there is a disconnection event,
ZG_MAC_SUBTYPE_MGMT_IND_DISASSOC
ZG_MAC_SUBTYPE_MGMT_IND_DEAUTH
ZG_MAC_SUBTYPE_MGMT_IND_CONN_STATUS
if you can capture as to which case causes the disconnection, that might useful in debugging this issue. If it is ZG_MAC_SUBTYPE_MGMT_IND_CONN_STATUS, it would be great if you can also capture the value of the status variable.

You can just add some debug global variables to hold this info in the driver files (g2100.[ch]) and print out those variable in the sketch using Serial.print() conditioned on the state of the zg_conn_status variable. As soon as zg_conn_status goes to 0, you can print out the debug variables which should indicate the cause of the disconnection.

Thanks,
Ben

Has anyone had any success in getting this shield to pull information from the internet, like listening to an RSS feed?

I have not gotten my shield yet so I have not started my attempt, just kinda want to hit the ground running when it gets here. :slight_smile:

Mike

Got mine today!,
Followed the guide, and the red led lights up. However it does not respond on ping, and the web server are unreachable. The AP has registered that the wishield has connected, and the mac address is in the log of the AP.

AP ip 192.168.2.1
wishield. 192.168.2.99

What could cause this?

Regards from Norway.

I suspect you're not... but are you on the same subnet? Could be something simple :slight_smile:

Could be.... But how do i change that on the wishield?
On the AP its 255.255.255.0

Regards

@BenQuark

I have my foot up in plaster after a fall on Saturday evening so once I'm up and about again I'll run the tests.

@hbr2d2 Don't worry about the Arduino...

Sounds like your setup is fine in that case. Hmm, I assume your router and Arduino have authenticated correctly and are communicating at the right speed?

I am a newbie. I want use Arduino with Adafruit Waveshield and internet connections. Unfortunately, waveshield uses the SPI and my ethersheild conflicts with it.

Does this wifishield potentially have the same problem as conflicts with the waveshield?

@TeamMCS
I kind of worry, i know that the shield/arduino connects to the AP. I have no security enabled, so I guess that is not the issue. I have adjusted the AP to just use the B-band, but have not adjusted the speed.

I'm a noob on the network stuff, but if someone could point me to some info how to set up a ad hoc net to my iphone i would be happy... I'm not going to have a AP on this project anyway.

Thanks!

@hbr2d2
it is quite simple to set up ad-hoc mode. In the sketch code, change
the network mode to ad-hoc. Power the wishield up. then go to
your iphone "settings" -> "wi-fi" -> "choose a network" : find the name
"asynclabs" (or whatever ssid you put in the sketch), then connect to it.
you should be able to see 192.168.1.2 from your iphone safari.

@hbr2d2
Can you ping the AP from the PC? That should verify if you are on the same subnet.

@LiveRock
The WiShield does use the SPI bus to talk to the Arduino. If you have the option of using a separate line on the Arduino as chip select for the waveshield then you can potentially use the SPI bus with two devices.

@hbr2d2

More specifically for adhoc mode, you should change the following variable to this value:

unsigned char wireless_mode = WIRELESS_MODE_ADHOC;

Hi All,
I just got my wishield and am trying to use it with Mega board.
I know the SPI pins are not the same as other arduinos(MEGA: 50-53; decimilia: 10-13). After wiring everything properly I cannot see any life from the shield. After some debugging it seems that spi.h needs to be modified.

any suggestions?

Yeah, spi.h will need to be modified to reflect the changed port of the SPI pins, depending on which port the SPI pins are on the ATMEGA1280. I haven't looked at the datasheet yet for it. I did put an order in for an ATMEGA board to help with the debug. I should have it by early next week.

One word of caution. Try to limit the run length of the wires connecting the WiShield SPI lines to the ATMEGA board. Also, try to use the breadboard as much as possible to route the signals (as opposed to "flying" them with jumper wires). Early in our prototyping, we noticed a lot of crosstalk and odd behavior when we ran long jumper traces for debug.

Ok, from looking at the datasheet for the new ATMEGA MCU, can you try modifying the following in spi.h:

#define SPI0_SS_BIT                              BIT0
#define SPI0_SCLK_BIT                              BIT1
#define SPI0_MOSI_BIT                              BIT2
#define SPI0_MISO_BIT                              BIT3