Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Oscilloscopes are insanely expensive  (Read 3343 times)
Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
... in The Woods In Vermont
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

look on Ebay for Tektronix 22xx series scopes.  Got a 2236 (100MHz) for $100 (with free shipping) and works like a top.
Yes, this is a good approach.. My 2235 has done me well for years....

An Big Iron like 7934's are sometimes cheap because no one wants to lug them.

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

View Profile

Thank you for all the help.

Someone said Rigol DS1052E is the best entry scope. I finally received one for about $300.

Will start to tinker with it.

View Profile

Personally, I think a better *entry* scope is a used Tektronix on eBay (like a 2445A).

You can get one for 1/3rd the price, with 3x the bandwidth, and 2x the number of channels (4ch vs. 2ch) vs. the Rigol. 

Of course, it doesn't have a fancy LCD display, and cursors and things like that. But it will also teach you the basics of how to read the scope without relying on automatic readouts.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

You can get one for 1/3rd the price, with 3x the bandwidth, and 2x the number of channels (4ch vs. 2ch) vs. the Rigol. 

All of which is overkill for most people doing Arduino stuff, especially a beginning scope user.

There's also the fact that you never really know what you are getting via Ebay on a scope deal - how calibrated the scope is, whether the focus works or not, etc; a lot of things that are better - when buying a used scope - to try out (or have a knowledgeable friend try out) before you purchase the scope.

...and - if that scope doesn't come with probes - you might end up spending a good amount of money on a quality set of probes to match the bandwidth.

I'm not knocking on getting a used scope - but I wouldn't do it without being able to "hands-on test" it myself (which requires some knowledge about how a scope works, of course). It's just too easy to buy a pig in a poke otherwise. I have two scopes that I purchased used; I was able to test both before I bought them: one came from Craigslist - a Tek 2213 (which would actually be a great beginner's scope), the other was a Fluke PM3380B combiscope (which is a pretty neat scope all on it's own).

The thing about the Rigol and similar low-cost DSO scopes is that you are getting something new and calibrated, sight unseen - if you have no way to test a scope (or knowledge, or a friend) - it's probably the better way to go.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

View Profile

Slightly off topic perhaps, I have a 50 MHz tektronix which has served me well for years.
I  need a 300 MHz occasionally but would particularly like something that would allow a screen capture to a pc or stick, any suggestions please ?.

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

Slightly off topic perhaps, I have a 50 MHz tektronix which has served me well for years.
I  need a 300 MHz occasionally but would particularly like something that would allow a screen capture to a pc or stick, any suggestions please ?.

Even the cheapest off-brand DSOs in this frequency range are pretty expensive.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2170901_-1 
http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds4000/ds4032/

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I received GW Instek GDS-2204A a few days ago, $1681 with shipping and 4 scope probes, can finally see why I was having trouble doing anything with MAX31865 (15 on one board) and signals going thru TXB0106 5V to 3.3V level translators.

Here's SCK going in & out of the buffer at 4 MHz speed,
and a working example reading a register back with SPI/128 speed.
Top is SCK, 2nd is MISO, 3rd is chip select, 4th is MOSI, all at 3.3V levels.
MOSI is going out thru a 2.2K/4.7K resistor divider, MISO is coming back straight from the MAX31865 into the 1284P.

Not going to be using TXB010x chips for level translators anymore.

* DS0001.BMP (1406.3 KB, 800x600 - viewed 33 times.)

* DS0007.BMP (1406.3 KB, 800x600 - viewed 38 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

I jumped on the first "little" scope I saw (a Tek TDS210; 60MHz, 2 Ch.)  I paid way too much for it (new, retail), but I had finally given up on the idea of the "used big iron" scope because I just don't have ROOM for it.  Today, I'd get a Rigol.

Edison Member
View Profile

You can pick up a handheld one with 1 or even 4 channel oscilloscope but you're going to lose the resolution you have from the big machines which can handle 100mhz + the cheap $60 USD one from ebay is great if you change the firmware like i did (more optimized open source, faster better options) all for $60! it even has a signal generator which you can specify the frequency...

So the big main difference, pocket digital ones usually handle 1-100mhz (careful, some are in the khz range) but you can carry one in your back pocket and have 4 channels on it for

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARM-DSO-Nano-Pocket-Sized-Digital-Oscilloscope-DSO203-D131z3-/370728363913?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item565121e789

Product Description
Description:
DSO 203 is a pocket size 4 channel digital oscilloscope for common electronic engineering tasks. It's based on ARM cortex M3 (STM32VCT6), providing 72Mhz analog bandwidth with integrated FPGA and high speed ADC. Internal 2MB USB disk could be used to store waveform, user application and upgrade firmware.

Feature:
3 inch TFT LCD 400x240
Pocket size and light weight
Two 72Mhz analog channels and two digital channels
Signal Generator
Auto Measurement
Elegant metallic look
Various Triggering Option
Easy waveform storage
Firmware upgrade
User applications
Open source

Specification :
Analog channel * 2 : [CH_A] [CH_B];
Digital channel * 2 : [CH_C] [CH_D];
Vertical Scale: 20mV-10V/div (x1 probe);
Vertical solution: 8 bit ;
Input coupling: AC/DC ;
Max input voltage: 80Vpp (x1 probe);
Storage: 4K per channel
Software trigger type: edge, pulse, level (to be added)
Hardware trigger type: edge
Trigger source: CH1/CH2/EXT
Test Signal generater: 10Hz to 1Mhz
Storage: internal 2MB USB disk
Auto measure: Vmax, Vmin, Vpp, Vavr, Vrms, Freq, Period, Pulse, Duty
Cursor measurement: Level, Voltage
Display mode: CH1, CH2, EXT, CH1+CH2, CH1-CH2, CH1*CH2
Sampling mode: real time
Sampling rate: 1kSa/s - 72MSa/S
Power: Li-ion battery
Dimension: 98 * 60 * 14.5
Weight: 80g (without battery)

I've had my el cheapo scopo for a few months now, I've learnt a LOT from it... perhaps with a more expensive i'll learn even more but i'm not in that "stage" yet where i need scopes which needs to examine the ghz range, i'm not working with digital radio or gps or mobile phones, i'm happy with the low end frequency ....

So i guess the real question is, what fits your needs?

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

usually handle 1-100mhz (careful, some are in the khz range)
kiloHertz would still be a million times better than milliHertz   smiley-wink

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

usually handle 1-100mhz (careful, some are in the khz range)
kiloHertz would still be a million times better than milliHertz   smiley-wink

'mhz' isn't millihertz at all, it's an incorrect symbol.  'mHz' is millihertz, 'MHz' is megahertz.

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

To each his own - I'm liking 4 channels and high bandwidth tho.
Really made it clear why saleae logic analyzer wasn't giving good results.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

I think you can get them at surplus stores.

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

I think you can get them at surplus stores.

I've seen them there.  I've never seen one that I would want to have or even one that I though was likely working.  Better luck finding a nice cheap knife that would be illegal to own in California or NYC.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I would also suggest the GW Instek scopes.  Made in Taiwan. Good prices found at tequipment.net.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: