Go Down

Topic: IR control over network (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

SaleB

Hello,

I am absolutely new to the forum, but I have read it from time to time.

I am planing a home project that I have not yet thought trough. I am planning to make a device that would allow me to get rid of all IR remote controls for various devices. I intend to set it on a wall that can see all the devices in the room and connect it to home network via ethernet or wifi. I intend to learn to it all IR remote codes for various remotes and use a local site for controlling devices with any of locally connected computers and android devices.

By now I only have an Arduino and IR receiving port, and basic understanding of electronics. I would like to use it as my first big Arduino project. So, I have a few questions for experienced users/developers. What is simpler, to use ethernet connection or wifi? Should I / Can I use it as a server or is better to use local web server for the site and the device just as external interface? What shall I use as storage, Arduino, clearly has not enough memory; shall I use an SD card or other kind of external memory? How much memory would I need for <10 remote controls? Is there any arduino library that I shall familiarize myself with?

I plan to begin experimenting by reading a few codes in an Adruino, and sending them to target device. After that I need to find other periphery devices and try to make something.

Thank you all for any suggestions.

Regrads,
Sasa

Arrch

What is simpler, to use ethernet connection or wifi?

Ethernet, but not by much. It also depends on if you have am Ethernet connection nearby already. I would say that if you had to run wire through your walls, WiFi would be easier.
Should I / Can I use it as a server or is better to use local web server for the site and the device just as external interface?

You can. Whether or not you should will depend on how robust you want this web interface to be.
What shall I use as storage, Arduino, clearly has not enough memory;

What makes you say that?
shall I use an SD card or other kind of external memory? How much memory would I need for <10 remote controls?

Do these remotes have 50 buttons or 3? If the former, do you plan on storing all the commands for every button? I know there are buttons on some of my remotes that I never bother pushing.
Is there any arduino library that I shall familiarize myself with?

IR remote library seems relevant.

power7net

Hello arduino friend.You can look my project with Arduino+Ethernet card+IR LED there http://www.power7.net/arduinoethernet.html .I can control my A/C via internet.
Web / sms / bluetooth / arduino / android remote control. Home Automation projects.
http://www.power7.net

SaleB

Thank you for your answers. I will look closely into power7net's project involving sd card as soon as I get some free time for the project.

When I saw prices for wifi and ethernet shield I opted to try first with ethernet shield. I would like to make it robust, to integrate a web server in it.

I really do not know how much space do the codes use, I presumed that Arduino memory is not enough. For a few codes for test purposes it surely will be enough, but I intend to add to it all the remotes for the devices that I have now and for any that may come. So, I would like some external memory that would not be a limiting factor in the future. I understand from power7net's project that codes are small and that there is enough space for ca. 10-15 different codes on Arduino itself. If I come to working prototype, I'll then go for external memory, wifi and local server in second prototype. I'll will surely find informations about these topics on the forum or somewhere else on the web. If I come to some problem I'll ask here.

Than you for your help.
Sasa

Arrch

I really do not know how much space do the codes use, I presumed that Arduino memory is not enough. For a few codes for test purposes it surely will be enough, but I intend to add to it all the remotes for the devices that I have now and for any that may come. So, I would like some external memory that would not be a limiting factor in the future. I understand from power7net's project that codes are small and that there is enough space for ca. 10-15 different codes on Arduino itself. If I come to working prototype, I'll then go for external memory, wifi and local server in second prototype. I'll will surely find informations about these topics on the forum or somewhere else on the web. If I come to some problem I'll ask here.

There is enough room for much more than "10-15 different codes."

Obviously it will depend on the devices but looking at the most common IR library, most IR codes are 4 bytes. Assuming you have an Uno, you could store 200 codes and take up less than half the memory. You could also move these codes to program memory (hard-coded rather than dynamically changeable) and store a few thousands and still only take up a quarter of the Uno's program memory.

Go Up