Go Down

Topic: Mini Plotter and MidSize Plotter (Read 417 times) previous topic - next topic

ShadowCory

I followed many of the online tutorials and crafted the mini plotter from a couple of scrapped DVD drives and a miniservo. After some experimentation with settings and messing about in some downloaded Tiny CNC Arduino code, I was able to make some mini plots with a standard ink pen. May not be too exciting for the old pros, but I found it fun and educational for an old artist trying to learn new tricks :)

My next step was to take a gutted HP1210 printer and swap out the two dc motors with some small 28byj-48 steppers coupled with two L298n motor controller boards. I did cut the middle trace on the little circuit board in the stepper motor to make it act like a bipolar stepper. I made a flexible coupling from a small length of plastic tubing and am driving the paper roller directly. I used the rail with belt drive, but redrilled the small toothed pulley, and used another hacked 28byj-48 to replace the dc motor on the carriage. Once again I used a mini servo as a penlift device.

This build was fairly successful, but since my math and coding skills are virtually non-existent, I have a little trouble reconciling the proportion difference from the rev/mm/steps of the top carriage, and the rev/mm/steps for the direct drive of the paper roller. I did many test prints of 100 or 1000 steps, measuring the distances in mm and plugging numbers back into the Arduino code. I can get it real close this way, but not yet 100%.

I did get another hp deskjet yesterday for $5 usd. I think I am going to use the rails, and carriage to make a moving table version. I have several more little steppers and servos now, and I even puchased some timing gears that fit the shaft of the steppers and some timing belt materials. Hopefully I will not have as much trouble understanding and getting the X-Y proportions right if both are moving the same distance at the same rate. I will post some more pictures of the build once I get a little further into :)  Meanwhile I consider the first two versions "done enough" and posted here in the Exhibition area. Enjoy!

ShadowCory

Here I rebuilt the letter sized plotter. Made it a little more accurate, although I feel I have reached the limit for these small steppers and control boards. I plan on using it for plotting and cutting parts for paper sculptures.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy