Go Down

Topic: Random hardware generator (Read 131 times) previous topic - next topic

m_ri

Hi everybody,
I wrote for fun a random generator based on a floating pin, with an output rate greater than 9kbit/s.
It's randomness is not so bad.

If u want to spend a look, I've pubblished it over gitHub (gitHub repo), with explanation and results produced by some statistical random suite.
Any comment is welcomed.

Thanks,
marco

pert

From the title I was hoping it was something that generated random hardware. That would be interesting! Not to disparage your random number generator, I'm sure it's very cool too.

m_ri

ahah, I'm sorry for my english.

Yep, it would be interesting to have a random generator of hardware  :)  :)

Coding Badly

I've noticed an higher output rate when my notebook (which feeds the arduino) is connected to the electricity grid, instead of be powered only by battery.
This could be the result of a 50 Hz (60 Hz) signal being induced on the floating pin. 

Or, it could be the result of a micro-ripple from the USB voltage regulator.

You may have to devise your own test for such a problem.

ChrisTenone

Thanks. This is quite useful to me Marco, as I have been making a series of "psychic" toys, such as an 8 ball, I Ching, and Weegee board. I have been utilizing non-matching pairs of analogReads() of floating analog pins, but missed discarding data adjacent to an endpoint. I will add that now. I'll study your code further, it looks very slick!
<reminder to come up with a revealing yet clever tagline>

m_ri

This could be the result of a 50 Hz (60 Hz) signal being induced on the floating pin. 
Yes,this is probably true. I've tried to run test with and without electricity grid,and results(about entropy) don't aggravate.

Thanks. This is quite useful to me Marco, as I have been making a series of "psychic" toys, such as an 8 ball, I Ching, and Weegee board. I have been utilizing non-matching pairs of analogReads() of floating analog pins, but missed discarding data adjacent to an endpoint. I will add that now. I'll study your code further, it looks very slick!
I'm happy to be helpful ;)

@CodingBadly : thanks for your links.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy