Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Battery Powered Meshed Network Installation  (Read 377 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello Everyone;

My first post here, I've used arduino a little in the past but now have a large project on the table, and thinking of the best way to tackle it.

I have been asked to build an installation with multiple nodes, all untethered (battery powered) and all communicating with each other wirelessly (I am thinking of using the xbee module for this). Each node will control some small devices and sensors.

So, does this sound like a perfect project for arduinos? I'm worried about the bandwidth if there are hundreds of nodes (and of course expense), and battery life.

Does anybody know if the arduinos can be programmed via the xbee shiled?, as I am worried about the time required to program each deveice by hand.

Also, is it possible to stream audio or video over the xbee comms (I havent yet fully read the datasheet as you can probably tell).

A few initial thoughts, basically for some pointers so I start of in the right direction. Thanks for your help in advance.

Nathan

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

You'd need to look at digi.com's site to find out how many XBees can join in a mesh.

Does anybody know if the arduinos can be programmed via the xbee shiled?, as I am worried about the time required to program each deveice by hand.

I've seen some stuff on how to do this. Never been interested enough to follow up on it. But, it won't be faster to program the Arduino wirelessly than hard-wired.

Also, is it possible to stream audio or video over the xbee comms (I havent yet fully read the datasheet as you can probably tell).

It's possible. At a frame rate of about once per day. The Arduino has 32K of memory. That won't hold, in addition to your program, much of the video or audio stream. So, the data being streamed to the Arduino has to be streamed very slowly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: