Go Down

Topic: Power supply for relay (Read 413 times) previous topic - next topic

ifugaopapercraft

I have a project involving a relay, PIR sensor, and AC fan. All finally works as intended but it is so ugly, really ugly, with two wall warts, one supplying the Arduino, another for the relay, and a wire for the fan, all coming from a power strip. A single wire from the AC outlet to a box would be much more elegant.  I assume the Arduino and relay can't be supplied by a single wart via transistor, or in this case, a tip120?  Could mains power be accessed from a single terminal inside a project box by the two warts? Ignorant question, but anything coming from the wall gives me the Willies!

johnwasser

You have not said what voltages and currents you are using.

I can guess that your relay requires more than 5 V and/or more than 30 mA.  Perhaps you should look for a different relay.

If your relay used 5V and <30 mA you can run it directly from an Arduino pin without a separate power supply or transistor driver.  If it uses 5V and >30 mA (up to about 400 mA) you can drive it from the Arduino with a transistor.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

ifugaopapercraft

Thanks for the help. The datasheet says 40ma. Having ordered a bunch of these, guess I will try to use them. If run from a transistor, I assume two wall warts are necessary?

johnwasser

You have still not said what voltages you are using for the relay or Arduino.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

ifugaopapercraft

Sorry, I am using 6v for the Arduino Pro, and 5v for the 5v relay.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy