Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Author Topic: 3D gun printing good or bad  (Read 8924 times)
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Why don't you go whip yourself up some learning about the real world?
As opposed to whatever ideology you would push on others.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

UCSB
Just a college girl interested in robots!!
View Profile

"In theory, practice is simple." -TrygveReenskaug
"Reality is the murder of a beautiful theory by a gang of ugly facts." -RobertGlass

/) /)
( ^.^ )
C(") (")

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

Wow I think this is really interesting! I imagined that roboticists/hobbyists would be primarily liberal.. As such a smart community I assumed that you guys would all be on the cutting edge of societal advancement, such as gay marriage and abortion. Why don't we try an activity.. If you guys would state either that your pro (don't want guns to be outlawed) or con (want guns to become outlawed), your political orientation (democratic or republican) and what state you're from, I could whip up some nice statistical analysis! I think this could be really fun so lemme know what you guys think!  smiley-lol

Tomahawk cruise missiles and Predator drones are basically robots.  How many libs do you think worked on those projects?   smiley-twist

I will state an opinion for you.  You're a man, man.

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Edison Member
View Profile

Guns are bad mmmmmmmkayyyyyyy

Fact is, Guns don't kill people, they NEVER have done, they never WILL.
=============================================================

Guns were made for 1 reason, to kill or seriously injure a person, so morally, all guns should be banned including plastic ones unless unless it's war and you're being invaded or to protect yourself.  Can't eat dinner without a knife, it just happens you can kill someone with it...

So I'm all for freedom of rights that includes ingesting, tattooing, if you wish to inflict pain on yourself or smoke crack cocaine, as long as you're in the private confines of your own home, go ahead knock yourself out, if you want a gun and play russian roulette, that's your right, i don't believe the government has the right to dictate what you can and can't do, the ONLY time any interference from any public source should ever take place is if the person places another person in danger in any shape or form, until then, it should be their constitutional right as it was back in the 1900's to ingest, to make, to own, if you want to buy something that could kill you then I think it should be down to the person to education themselves (as i said as long as it does not harm OTHERS and it's all for personal use, and nothing that could be used to blow up a building)  over what they have bought and handling...

the nanny state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_BG_KCJ7oI&feature=player_detailpage#t=2018s

This is about morphine, but what I find interesting is that the Constitution like guns applied to drugs - all drugs were legal are we heading this way? will America wage war on people
with guns? to remove guns?....

That aside, I lived in the UK, Spain and Australia, Australia is the most paranoid of the 3, can't even buy Air guns here without taking a course and training and a good reason for needing
an air rifle! I owned one in the UK i never shot anyone... but few have died from an .77 air rifle lead pellet, should guns be banned?...   No. but it's your right to own one and shoot one
i have no problem with that..

But what happens when your son's friends come over and play with your gun?
What happens if your psychopathic brother uses your gun?
What happens if a person goes postal?.

All those situations don't take place here in Australia or UK, sure gangs, when was the last time a gang attacked you? keep out their way right?..

So the question has to be asked... Will banning guns reduce deaths? of course and who would argue that's bad?

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Guns were made for 1 reason, to kill or seriously injure a person,

Not true. Guns were invented to fire projectiles. The first practical uses that was put to was shooting people but those haven't been the only uses for guns nor the only direction of development that guns have been taken.

But some people need the simple lie to make their simple idea seem to make sense. Guns are bad because guns are only for shooting people. If you can believe that then you can buy the one about being able to disarm the world through discussion.

Edison Member
View Profile

Not true. Guns were invented to fire projectiles. The first practical uses that was put to was shooting people but those haven't been the only uses for guns nor the only direction of development that guns have been taken.

But some people need the simple lie to make their simple idea seem to make sense. Guns are bad because guns are only for shooting people. If you can believe that then you can buy the one about being able to disarm the world through discussion.

"Not true. Guns were invented to fire projectiles. The first practical uses that was put to was shooting people|"

Bit contradictory, what other possible use is there..... ??? for firing a bullet or projectile (be from a cannon or similar) using gunpowder? name a single use other than to shoot a person?!

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

but few have died from an .77 air rifle lead pellet
"That which does not kill us...is going to hurt, a lot". (Not quite Nietzsche).

Let's assume that was .177 (4.49mm) not .77 (19.56mm)   smiley-yell

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

God Member
"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics" Homer J. Simpson
View Profile

name a single use other than to shoot a person?!
Hunting.

I do though view a gun as a weapon not a tool and most of its development has been driven to make them efficient at shooting people.
That does not mean people should not have and learn to use weapons, but perhaps control on access and the type of weapon makes sense.

God Member
"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics" Homer J. Simpson
View Profile

Somebody is now 3D printing land mines with arduino controls to help train bomb disposal teams.

The mines are supposed to be quite accurate replicas of the real thing and are produced in pairs.
One mine is buried. As the person probes for the buried mine it communicates with its partner which is visible and which can indicate via leds, sound etc. to the person how the buried mine is being affected and how close the probing is to triggering it.

Arduinos are being used as the processors. The article I read did not contain a lot of technical detail.

It must take some nerve to do that job.

Edison Member
View Profile

Hunting.

I do though view a gun as a weapon not a tool and most of its development has been driven to make them efficient at shooting people.
That does not mean people should not have and learn to use weapons, but perhaps control on access and the type of weapon makes sense.

Do you not consider shooting an animal "harming" ?! i'm a Vegetarian because of the treatment of animals.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

"Not true. Guns were invented to fire projectiles. The first practical uses that was put to was shooting people|"

Bit contradictory, what other possible use is there..... ??? for firing a bullet or projectile (be from a cannon or similar) using gunpowder? name a single use other than to shoot a person?!

I spent years target shooting. It's very good for mind and body, but you actually have to DO it to understand.

There is also hunting, I come from generations of hunters and fishers.

That's two other uses. What is having a gun for defense? Why... ONLY... to shoot someone. Never mind that someone may not get shot. Or stabbed. Or clubbed. Or beaten to death. None of which requires a gun.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Guns were made for 1 reason, to kill or seriously injure a person, so morally, all guns should be banned including plastic ones unless unless it's war and you're being invaded or to protect yourself.  Can't eat dinner without a knife, it just happens you can kill someone with it...

[some history, too short to be complete but anyway]
Guns were invented to conquer castles to shoot the wooden gate in chips so the knights with swords could enter the castle (if not covered with hot oil or whatever). Gunpowder was too expensive in the beginning (to kill individual people with it). Before that even the Romans had their big catapults (don't recall the name) Further back in history David killed Goliath with a slingshot and before that people were throwing stones, and wood. Before people the monkeys did.
So from historical point of view, the gun is just the technological follow up of the hand. And yes, hands can kill (think martial arts).

2) Many people in the world eat dinner with a spoon a fork only or just with their hands (too many unfortunately).

Some peaceful uses of guns I know of:
  • in the mountains, shoot the snow to trigger avalanches before the trigger themselves.
  • Guns were also used to guide ships in the dark/mist.
  • Air guns (big automatic with compressor) to make noise to keep his cherry-trees bird free (applies to other fruits too).
  • shoot a rope over a wall / building to climb it. (e.g. fire brigades).
  • some medical injections are done with a sort of gun
  • to get an elephant to sleep in a zoo => syringe(?) gun

Who can extend this peaceful list?  (I think that after 6 pages we can agree that guns can be used by humans for lethal activities)

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Hunting.

Do you not consider shooting an animal "harming" ?! i'm a Vegetarian because of the treatment of animals.

You ask about other than to shoot a person and when you get an example you shift your argument without a single word admitting that you were wrong. No, you are not wrong as long as you can find some objection to make, anything will do. What are you, 14?

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

Maybe you should go hunt predator species like lions and hyenas.  Dirty rotten bastards they are!   smiley-lol

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

name a single use other than to shoot a person
How about "name a single use other than to shoot an animal"?  smiley-twist

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Jump to: