Go Down

Topic: Binary Tutorial? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Bosscheesemo

Hello everybody I'm new to Arduino and I'm getting used to C slowly. The bulk of my programming background is in programming PIC18's in machine assembly code.

My question is how do I incorporate binary and hex into Arduino and C? Can anybody provide a few good sample programs that can illustrate hex and binary being used in the Arduino environment? Is it even possible to interface to C using raw binary values?

At the moment I've got a row of 10 LEDs and a potentiometer. One lab i would like to try is a binary counter and another is rotating the POT and having the LEDs show the binary value of the POT's wiper.

Osgeld

byte = 0xff;
byte = b00000000;

for starters
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

fungus

byte = 0xff;
byte = b00000000;

for starters

...as a google search for "hexadecimal in C" would have revealed.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

AWOL

byte = b00000000;

Close, but no oral carcinogens.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Bosscheesemo

byte = 0xff;
byte = b00000000;

for starters

That's not very helpful to me. Could you use this in a sample of code to illustrate proper use?

westfw

My question is how do I incorporate binary and hex into Arduino and C? Can anybody provide a few good sample programs that can illustrate hex and binary being used in the Arduino environment?

In standard C, you can cause a number to be interpreted as a hex number by preceding it with a "0x" prefix.
In most versions of gcc (which is used by Arduino) you can cause a number to be interpreted as binary by preceding it with a "0b" prefix.
In the Arduino environment, there are a set of binary one-byte constants defined using "B" as a prefix.

So, 192, B11000000, 0b11000000, and 0xC0 are all the same number.
0xDeadBeef is a valid 32bit hex constant.  0b101001000100001000001 is a fine binary number (but rather unreadable.)

Don't put leading zeros on your decimal numbers, though.  That makes them be read as octal, so 010 would be the same as 8 ! (harkening back to the original PDP11 days, I guess.)

AWOL

Jun 18, 2013, 08:56 am Last Edit: Jun 18, 2013, 09:06 am by AWOL Reason: 1
harkening back to the original PDP11 PDP-8 (and possibly earlier) days

Octal is still relevant today in Linux systems, for setting access privileges.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

westfw

Well, C was originally developed for the PDP11, wasn't it?  Octal itself is certainly much older, but I hypothesize that its inclusion in C was directly because C was aimed at PDP11 "systems programming", and the PDP11 was defined/documented/etc in octal.

(The 8080 also had a fundamentally octal instruction set, and it always pissed me off that hex was so widely using for programming it.)

hiduino

Hehe, I still have my S-100 bus 8085/8088 system.  I remember doing everything in asm and hex.

Bosscheesemo

My question is how do I incorporate binary and hex into Arduino and C? Can anybody provide a few good sample programs that can illustrate hex and binary being used in the Arduino environment?

In standard C, you can cause a number to be interpreted as a hex number by preceding it with a "0x" prefix.
In most versions of gcc (which is used by Arduino) you can cause a number to be interpreted as binary by preceding it with a "0b" prefix.
In the Arduino environment, there are a set of binary one-byte constants defined using "B" as a prefix.

So, 192, B11000000, 0b11000000, and 0xC0 are all the same number.
0xDeadBeef is a valid 32bit hex constant.  0b101001000100001000001 is a fine binary number (but rather unreadable.)

Don't put leading zeros on your decimal numbers, though.  That makes them be read as octal, so 010 would be the same as 8 ! (harkening back to the original PDP11 days, I guess.)

Ok that explains things more clearly thank you for that explanation!

MichaelMeissner

Well, C was originally developed for the PDP11, wasn't it?  Octal itself is certainly much older, but I hypothesize that its inclusion in C was directly because C was aimed at PDP11 "systems programming", and the PDP11 was defined/documented/etc in octal.

The PDP-11 had 8 registers and the instruction set tended to have registers at octal boundaries, so octal was a natural fit for the 11.  The left over bit in the 16-bit instruction word often times was used to indicate whether the instruction operated on 16-bit words or 8-bit characters.  I spent the summer of 1978 doing PDP-11 standalone/simulator code, and had to delve into the instruction set, including toggling in the boot code at the front panel with 3 finger octal.

Note, that before switching to first the PDP-7 and later the PDP-11, Ritchie and Thompson had been part of the Multics project which was on a 36-bit machine, where octal is more natural.  Bell Labs withdrew from the Multics project and Ritchie/Thompson and others started working on an underused PDP-7 and C/UNIX were begun.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy