Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Disable USB power so when connected via USB without Ext power, Arduino is off  (Read 906 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I'm building a little control project that communicates with a PC via USB but uses (and needs) an external power supply to function, however I only want the board to be powered from the external supply - never from USB. If only USB is connected, I need it to be 'off' until the external power comes on.

It's using the Ladyada Motor Control shield, however due to some voltage leaks on the L293D chips (I think) causes the motors to be powered, from the USB supply (even with the power jumper disconnected) all be it without enough current to turn, but causing odd behaviour.

The Arduino automatically uses the external supply when it's connected, but I need to prevent it powering up without external power.

I'd rather it just didn't power up or draw any power from USB, but as a compromise, if I could detect the lack of external power in software and loop until external power becomes available I can be sure the motors don't get switched on.

Is there any way to disable the USB as a power source yet keep the data, or failing that, what's the best way to get an input based on the external power without just sticking a relay on it?

Thanks!

Earth
Edison Member
My browser no longer is binding static IP, Floating is the way to go.
View Profile

What you ask is data-only USB cable or powerless USB cable.

A data-only USB cable is a cable that only contains the + and the - data leads. It does not contain the +5V power lead. lt SHOULD contain the ground lead. This type of USB cable is what is known as "Data-Only". You CANNOT just assume since your USB device is plugged into a power source that you do not need the power lead on your USB cable! That is just plain wrong.

The application is high-end audio DAC and very pricey.

You need DIY the cable.

Edison Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

never from USB
Remove the USB polyfuse.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:04:04 am by LarryD » Logged

View Profile

You CANNOT just assume since your USB device is plugged into a power source that you do not need the power lead on your USB cable! That is just plain wrong.

Yes, you're right - I wasn't planning on doing that and am aware the ground would be required. I would rather not rely on a custom USB cable though.

never from USB
Remove the USB polyfuse.

That's just what I was hoping for, could you describe where that is on the board so I know what to remove?

Thanks for your help.

Earth
Edison Member
My browser no longer is binding static IP, Floating is the way to go.
View Profile

That's just what I was hoping for, could you describe where that is on the board so I know what to remove?

You didn't tell us which Arduino you have, You treat us as fortune teller?

Edison Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

Yes, we need to know the Arduino board you have.
Show us a picture of it.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

It's generally the very large flat component (compared to the other 2-lead SMD components) located near the USB connector.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Sorry folks, it's an Uno.

Is it the golden one marked 501V?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:18:13 pm by Sam2D » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Sorry folks, it's an Uno.

It's that squarish component just below the USB connector and closest to the left card edge in the top left picture.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

Lefty

View Profile

Thanks so much for your help, appreciated.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

yes, 501V, or 501L

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: