Go Down

Topic: learning the ARM CORTEX M3 (Read 2675 times) previous topic - next topic

MichaelMeissner

If you are going to be doing a lot of floating point, you should be using a chip that has actual floating point instructions in it.  Unfortunately, the Due does not use such a chip.  Systems like Rasberry Pi, Beaglebone Black, etc. tend to have floating point.  So you have to weigh is the floating point dominating your system that it would be better to switch to doing it via an alternate system, or do you just use a little floating point, and it is acceptable to use the software emulated floating point.

In addition to standard floating point in the Arm chip, in these systems that typically are designed for Linux, often times have GPUs (graphical processing unit) that you can push more of the calculations to the GPU.  It depends on how dedicated you are to getting the most performance.

pito

Jun 19, 2013, 03:09 pm Last Edit: Jun 19, 2013, 03:11 pm by pito Reason: 1
Systems like Rasberry Pi, Beaglebone Black, etc. tend to have floating point.

STM32F4xx, 3xx (CM4) have got it as well.

Jack Christensen

Here's a quiz:

All interesting questions, especially:

8) Why did TI discontinue ("Not Recommended for New Designs") the entire Stellaris line of CM3 chips?
9) Why did SI Labs pay $170 million to acquire Energy Micro?

I Googled around a little, found that the Stellaris CM3 line had bugs and used old 250nm production process. Energy Micro will give SI Labs low power and wireless functionality. That was just real quick, so would be glad to hear other input.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Graynomad

westfw, I could answer all those questions but I think it's only fair to let someone else have a go :)

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Jack Christensen

westfw, I could answer all those questions but I think it's only fair to let someone else have a go :)

Sounds like youse guys could teach a class. Probably couldn't afford you though ;)
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

pito

I could answer all those questions but I think it's only fair to let someone else have a go

He could answer, the Q is whether the answer would be the proper one.. :)

Graynomad

Whatever answers I give they will be correct, just maybe not for the questions posed by westfw.

_____
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up