Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Square wave from crystal oscillator  (Read 686 times)
India
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey,
I have Googled and was not able to find a proper circuit for generating square wave from crystal oscillator. I am planning to use a Schmitt trigger to convert the sine to square. But how do I get sine from the crystal. Do i just need to apply a 5V dc across the terminals??
Thanks

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Try... Googling Crystal Oscillator and read until you understand what you are reading.

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

But how do I get sine from the crystal
By putting it AS PART of a crystal oscillator circuit. There are lots and lots to chose from, but without knowing what frequency the oscillator is it is hard to give any advice.

India
View Profile

What I need is a perfect 1hz square wave and don't want to use timers or op-amps. I am planning to use a 12Mhz crystal and do freq division.

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

12MHz isn't the ideal crystal.  32.768Mhz is better
See the attached for all you need
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/newsgroups/viewtopic.php?t=422

Edison Member
View Profile

A crystal by itself does not oscillate.   It's a resonant device something like a bell or a guitar string, and something needs to activate or "excite" it, to get it started and keep it going.

You can buy a crystal oscillator like this for 3 or 4 times the price of a crystal alone.   (That example is the wrong frequency).   You'll probably still need a frequency divider.   These have 3 connections:  +5V, ground, and output.   (There is usually a 4th unused pin.)

Most circuits you'll run-across will either use one of those oscillators, or in the case of a microprocessor/microcontroller (like the Arduino) the oscillator circuit is built-into the chip, and an external crystal is used.    You'll almost never see a crystal oscillator made "from scratch".   

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I'd use an ATtiny25 with a 32768Hz crystal attached. I can't think of any other solution that uses only 3 components (including the decoupling capacitor). However, if you don't have the means to program an ATtiny then you will need a different solution, such as an MC14521B oscillator/frequency divider with a 4194304Hz crystal, 2 load capacitors and 2 resistors for the crystal, and a decoupling capacitor.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:53:45 pm by dc42 » Logged

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Perhaps the simplest method would be to use a DS1307 and program it for a 1 second output pulse, The chip is quite capable of that and there are instructions in great plenty here in the Forum and the Playground too...

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: