HITACHI - LMG7420PLFC-X

Hello,

I have a HITACHI - LMG7420PLFC-X found in my home.
is it possible to connect this display to an arduino?
Here would be the datasheet : http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1647978.pdf
Under the section 9.3 you can see the assignment of the display.

regards iron

The trick is to find the name of the controller. In your case its a T6963 controller (mentioned on one of the last pages).
You could use u8glib (Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.) with the following constructor:

U8GLIB_T6963_240X128 u8g(8, 9, 10, 11, 4, 5, 6, 7, 14, 15, 17, 18, 16); // 8Bit Com: D0..D7: 8,9,10,11,4,5,6,7, cs=14, a0=15, wr=17, rd=18, reset=16

Of course you can choose the pin numbers as given in the code above, but also any other pins are ok.

Additionally: Apply "Low" (GND) to F/S pin of the display

Oliver

oh ok
it is much more complicated than the nokia display.
I'm still a beginner.
would it be possible to get an accurate instructions. I have no idea how to connect it.
=(

Hi

Your Arduino Board has the pins labeld from 0 to 13 (above the UNO logo)
Addtionally A0 = 14, A1 = 15, A2 = 16 ... (other side of the board)

Now you need to connect your display to the Arduino Board:
D0..D7: 8,9,10,11,4,5,6,7, cs=14, a0=15, wr=17, rd=18, reset=16
The numbers represent the pins on your board.
For the display only symbolic names are given, like "cs" or "a0".
You have to find these symbolic names in your datasheet. Unfortunately these symbolic names differ from LCD to LCD. Some translation is given here: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

Lets make an example. cs = 14
14 means A0 on your board. "cs" is the low active chip select, however this is named "ce" in your datasheet (p14) which is A14.
So you have to connect A14 from your display with A0 on the Uno.

a0 = 15
15 is A1 on the Uno. "a0" is called C/D and is located at A4. So connect A4 from your display with A1 on the Uno.

D1 = 9
Pin 9 on the Uno is labeld with "~9". D1 is DB1 on your display and is located at A8 of your display.

I hope you can finish the rest of the pins. I suggest to write down a mapping table for the 13 pins which are required as argument for the u8glib constructor.

Once this is done, you need to investigate settings for the other pins.
A18 should be unconnected
A19 must be connected to GND (i mentioned this earlier)

Setup the remaining (power) pins as shown in section 8.3 (page 11). You probably need a -15V source along wth the normal 5V. Of course the 5V could be used from the Uno. -15V is more complicated, batteries will do, i have used a compact DC/DC converter for may own display. For testing you could also use a variable voltage source, but ensure that 5V and -15 are isolated to each other.

You can see my T6963 Varitronix display on the u8glib gallery page: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

Oliver

Hi Oliver
Have just build the exact same display as IRON, with a UNO.
Im using it for a Solartracker, but now im running out of ports, and have to use a MEGA instead of the UNO.

My only problem is, where do i connect "cs=?, a0=?, wr=?, rd=?, reset=?" :slight_smile:

I really want to connect them to cs=33 a0=22, wr=23, rd=24, reset=34 is that possible ?

Br Tvixen

Btw, great work u have made. Working like a charm :smiley:

You can use any other pins of the Arduino Mega, but you must update the U8glib constructor call accordingly.

Oliver

Oki thanks Oliver, but could u give me just a little hint how to do that :slight_smile: (as im not familiar with that)

I managed to change the whole pin setup to MEGA, simply by changing the pin number according to schematics and som googling)

If u have the time, then just show me a line of code, where i should do it, and i will find the rest and correct it.

Thanks in advance
Tim

Hi

You have to provide the pin number on the constructor line. Pins are comma separated. Each position has a special meaning.

U8GLIB_T6963_240X128 u8g(8, 9, 10, 11, 4, 5, 6, 7, 14, 15, 17, 18, 16); // 8Bit Com: D0..D7: 8,9,10,11,4,5,6,7, cs=14, a0=15, wr=17, rd=18, reset=16

Oliver

ok I thought that I should change in the .C library u8g_com_arduino_t6963_sw_spi.c :grin:

So u say that i can just change the constructor to what i like ? and it will work ...Great , thanks

(Yeps ...its working XD)

Br Tim

Hello. Just wanted to mention that i have tried the above steps with the hello world example from the u8glib library and it is working on an Arduino uno connected to a HITACHI-LMG7420PLFC-X screen.
Thanks to everyone(still watching this post) and especially to olikraus for posting the above instructions.