Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 5 Wire , BIPOLAR 2.7 A HIGH TORQUE STEP MOTOR & ULN2003A  (Read 889 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi everyone. Firstly excuse my english. I have a project high torque stepper. Actually i'm an radio astronomer. I'm interesting in electronic circuits.
I have an Arduino Uno. i have PIC (16F877A) boards + 1.8" 34N108S-LW8 (2 quantity) from previous radio astronomy projects. Actually its an old radio telecope's parts (5 meter radius telescope).
This telescope not functional now. I want to setup and working full func. Before me, old tech. personel prepared  controller boards( PIC 16F877A with ULN2003A) for this telescope.
I'm want fresh setup. but i want handle this job with arduino not pic. there is questions that i want to ask you ;

1) Arduino Uno can handle this project ?
2) How i drive MySteppers  with ULN2003A ?
3) Must i use ULN2003A ??
4) How drives BIPOLAR Steppers ?
5) BIPOLAR steppers using H-Bridge ??

An extra thing. There is an adapter for stepper. 220V transformator to this adapter. Stepper cables to adapter. Combine all cables it. 5 pin for output controller. 

Here's tech. specs MySteppers
http://www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/stepper/L010431%20-%2034N%20Product%20Sheet.pdf,

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:07:10 am by WarheadTR » Logged

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Those specs say the motor is 8-wire, and 2.7A for bipolar-series, 3.9A for unipolar and 5.4A for
bipolar-parallel connection.  Seems to be missing the winding resistance specification though.

That's a beefy motor, ULN2003A cannot possibly handle it!

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

The easiest way to drive it would be in unipolar mode, using 4 mosfets. But you would get better torque out of it in bipolar mode. Also, I suspect that a stepper of that size probably needs a chopper drive to easily achieve high torque without overheating. If you don't require the maximum torque, you could use the bipolar series configuration and a A4988-based driver, readily available on eBay and adjustable up to 2A. You can also get higher current stepper drivers on eBay, for example this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Router-1-Single-Axis-3A-TB6560-Stepper-Motor-Drivers-Board-For-Axiscontrol-/300864638109?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item460cee0c9d is rated at 3A and is also adjustable, so you could adjust it to 2.7A for your motors.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The A4988 won't take 2A without exotic heat-sinking precautions, I suspect.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: