Go Down

Topic: Clickwheel with Arduino (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

Anachrocomputer

6 output lines from the sensors, power, ground for them, 3 control lines for the coils. (I traced those also). Is that right?

Yes, that's right.

The Hall-effect sensors have four terminals, two of which come out on the connector (as you've found).  The other two terminals behave like a diode and pass a small current through the device(s).  On my CD-ROM motor, they were connected in series rather like a string of three LEDs.  I added current-limiting resistors (100 Ohms at each end) and powered them from the 5V supply.

Good to hear about the two other DC motors, too!

mircho

I did implement your suggestion Anachrocomputer.
Here is a short video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avDF0NkG9Vs
The only thing I added to the proposed schematics are 4k7 pullups to the outputs of the comparator. The datasheet of the LM339 and the included test circuits all used a pullup (in the datasheet they usually used 10k).

The hardest part was soldering my own cables to the motor. This setup has good resolution for any practical user interface purpose and has solid, stable feel to it.

Anachrocomputer

May 15, 2009, 10:09 pm Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:09 pm by anachrocomputer Reason: 1
Glad to hear that it worked!  I used a TLC3704 which doesn't need pull-up, but with the LM339, it's open-collector, so you'll need pull-up resistors. I managed to desolder the tape-wire connector from the CD-ROM's PCB, so I used that to make the connections.  Was tricky, though.

manu29

Hi,

I tried to interfacing an Arduino MEGA board and a qt1106 but my program doesn't run (i use the evaluation board E1106). I found a code for AVR http://www.freaklabs.org/freakusb/html/. I tried with Arduino Mega SPI interface and with this code http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/MCP3208 but the qt1106 reply is allways 0.
Is somebody tried this code ??

Manuel

VirtualEnder

In response to the original question about controlling Nuendo (or any other audio software), I would recommend sending midi data and then using Spekenzie Labs serial to midi converter to translate the data and map it to an existing software midi port on your computer.  I have successfully done this using HDD spindle motors.

The MIDI signals you will want to send are probably CC signals, here is the arduino code I used to send my signals.  

Code: [Select]
   Serial.print( 176, BYTE);  //Control Change identifier
   Serial.print( 70, BYTE);   //Controller ID Number
   Serial.print( 65, BYTE);   //Controller direction number

I have two encoders, one is MIDI control 70, and one is MIDI control 71.  These are rotary controllers in the MIDI standard, and most audio software will map to them.  The direction number controls how far/fast values change.  64 is the middle, so 65 is really fast to the right or up, and 63 is really fast to the left or down.  The range is 0 to 127, both of those being very very slow to the left/down (0) and up/right (127).  It seems backwards, but it works!

Go Up