Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LED as Sensor ?in reverse or forward bias??  (Read 458 times)
Jamnagar
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I read some post related to this and what I got is LED can generate small photo current when you throw light towards it.
I also tried with LM358(Op-Amp),I connected in reverse bias and got same result.

But my question is when I connected LED Anode to BC547 Base and cathode to GND(as shown in attached file),
I mean in forward bias it worked!and it was able to switch LED on (not fully but ther is "some" light) which is connected to collector?

i mean to use LED as sensor it should work in reverse bias?they why it worked with BC547 in forward bias?please tell me I am very curious to know about this.. smiley-mr-green

* transister.JPG (16.65 KB, 314x411 - viewed 11 times.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:09:19 am by devendra » Logged

New England
Natural Semiinductor
View Profile

The LED can make a positive current when connected in forward bias. If it is reversed, it will provide a negative current. The forward bias, as shown in the schematic, is the correct bias to turn on the npn transistor using photocurrent.

I am going to get going.

Earth
Edison Member
My browser no longer is binding static IP, Floating is the way to go.
View Profile

MITSUBISHI has very nice paper about Very Low-Cost Sensing and Communication Using Bidirectional LEDs

http://www.merl.com/papers/docs/TR2003-35.pdf

View Profile

Very neat paper, thanks for sharing. I just might integrate a simple LED communication interface on a project I'm working on.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: