Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: High amp motor controller  (Read 1195 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello there im looking to control a wiper motor with arduino using a motor controller but i cant seem to find one that can handle 10+ amps for a wiper motor and also that are compatible with arduino. I am resorting to either hooking up a bunch of l298n motor controllers in parallel of using esc's from an rc car that has no brake function. I am making a 4wd robot using wiper motors so its going to be a big machine. Any ideas? Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
God Member
View Profile

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1393

Windows serial port monitor: Tellurium | Arduino serial port debugging library: DBG | Cusom LCD char generator | Technical questions will only be answered in forum threads

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Somebody has posted that they have used the below h-bridge with a large motor with no issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-BTS7960B-43A-Motor-Driver-High-power-module-smart-car-driver-For-Arduino-/221235721147?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3382ad33bb

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

I am resorting to either hooking up a bunch of l298n motor controllers in parallel

L298 h-bridge ICs should -not- be paralleled (beyond their designed paralleling capability per IC to get 4 amps to a single motor) - they have a bipolar transistor output stage, and as such they really won't like being paralleled...

of using esc's from an rc car that has no brake function.

Most ESCs sold today are for brushless (BLDC) motors - if you do go the ESC route, make sure you get ones for brushed motors (which your wiper motors are likely using).

Lastly - since wiper motors turn fairly slowly - could you instead use a DPDT relay (or a pair of SPDT relays)? Or - if you need PWM speed control - use the relay(s) for direction control, and put an NPN or N-channel mosfet on the low-side (between the relay h-bridge and ground) - and drive it with PWM. Just make sure you turn off the PWM before switching the relay(s) - otherwise arcing at the relay contacts will occur. You can easily find logic-level mosfets with the current rating needed. Use automotive relays for the needed amperage.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: