Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Can 5V be put into an analog pin with 1.1v ref. ?  (Read 285 times)
Northants - UK
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I want to make a circuit for PWM control, i have a hand controller that will be controlling it and I think the easiest way to get good linearity is to put a larger resistor in series, the resistance of the controler is 0-60 ohms, with with a 1K resistor in series the resistance total would vary by 6% so would stay pretty linear, this would mean very poor resolution though so ideally I'd need to power the two from a higher voltage to get the voltage range up - or drop the measured range to match the outputted range. 1.1V ref with 5V supply is a good starter point. But it means that when the 0-60 resistor becomes disconnected which it does with the trigger at rest the ful 5V would go into the micro, will this be a problem with the micro powered from 5V ?

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

No problem putting 5V into an analogue pin no matter what the referance, it will however read 1203 1023 like all voltages above the reference.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:55:16 pm by Grumpy_Mike » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

two digits swapped - 1023 (0x3FF)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Northants - UK
View Profile

going off the scale is part of my plan  smiley-cool

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

It is not off the scale it is the top of the scale.

Northants - UK
View Profile

well 5V is off the scale for a 1.1Vref and will give 1023 by default so I'll take anything over 1000 as my mark

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: