Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: L293D alternative  (Read 1178 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey, everyone, I tried this circuit:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4092/5030023537_054846f468_z.jpg

with a component that I believe is very similar to the L293D used in the picture. Further more I got this component from an old rc car which really makes me believe it is used to control simple dc motors spinning direction. Here it is:

http://sdz-upload.s3.amazonaws.com/prod/upload/data1.JPG

But the circuit doesn't work. Does anyone know where I can find the datasheet for my component: R67370S 0215, by New Bright Toys? I guess the pin configuration is different...

Earth
Edison Member
My browser no longer is binding static IP, Floating is the way to go.
View Profile

if you just have one or few pieces, might not be worth to trouble. but if you reverse engineer the diagram might help a lot. or drop a line to http://www.newbright.com/

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Did the RC car that chip came from have any transistors?

Did the RC car that the chip came from have a separate radio receiver?

If you answered Yes to the first and No to the second then what you probably have is an RC receiver and not a dual H-bridge.

See this page for a similar NewBright toy:
http://www.et.byu.edu/~bmazzeo/LTR/tech.phtml

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Without any documentation, what lead you to believe it was the same as another component?

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Earth
Edison Member
View Profile

Without any documentation, what lead you to believe it was the same as another component?

X-ray, ... if worth to trouble, reverse engineer could ... since New Bright has no IC fabrication capacity.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:29:57 am by sonnyyu » Logged

View Profile

2 of you guys talked about reverse engineering. What do you mean to "reverse engineer the diagram might help a lot" ?

Attached is a picture of the board I got the component from. You can see the rectangle on the board is where the part originally was located.

* daaaaa.jpg (496 KB, 800x719 - viewed 44 times.)

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You'll need to follow the traces on the reverse side of the board and need to know which of the connectors
on the board went to which part of the RC car before being able to determine the role that chip played.
It's quite likely its a microcontroller pre-programmed specific to that toy - there is a lot of discrete transistor
circuitry on that board which may or may not be RF receiver circuitry (can't see any obvious quartz crystal).

"Reverse engineer" = "detective work".

Absolutely no a-priori reason to suspect that that chip is a motor driver (there are several power devices on
heatsinks already taken from the board that are much more obvious candidates for this role)

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

"there are several power devices on heatsinks already taken from the board that are much more obvious candidates for this role"

Such as?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The chip is going to be a microcontroller to pick up radio, and determine direction based on the RF input..

I've got my eye on J7 in the corner for having output to the motor.. It looks like it could be driving PWM.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:33:06 am by tocpcs » Logged

View Profile

So no chance to use it as a L293D alternative?

Earth
Edison Member
View Profile

very minimum to none.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

So no chance to use it as a L293D alternative?

What you have there is likely the RX2 half of the TX2/RX2 radio-control chipset, a chipset that is commonly used (though nowadays the SMT variant is more often found) in low-cost radio-control toys from manufacturers like New Bright. The receiver chip decodes a modulated signal (from an RF receiver on the vehicle's PCB) to then send on to control discrete component (generally) h-bridges that control the motors for steering and acceleration.

It is not an h-bridge IC itself (and likely you have damaged it attempting to use it as such).

If you want to know more about this chipset (and where to find datasheets), go to this thread:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,86883.0.html

Note that there are a ton of different datasheets for this chipset out there; I have recently found other members of this family (TX5/RX5 and TX7/RX7) - but they are all very similar, with the TX2/RX2 set seemingly the most popular/used by manufacturers in China (where most of these toys originate from).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:13:15 am by cr0sh » Logged

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

"there are several power devices on heatsinks already taken from the board that are much more obvious candidates for this role"

Such as?

Top left, two TO220 packages with an L-shaped heatsink tab (well they are silk-screened outlines for them),
also two packages on bottom left look like power transistors perhaps.   The linear package bottom right could
be something interesting too.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Top left, two TO220 packages with an L-shaped heatsink tab (well they are silk-screened outlines for them),
also two packages on bottom left look like power transistors perhaps.   The linear package bottom right could
be something interesting too.

I'm willing to bet that those TO-220 devices are for a "bang-bang" electromagnetic steering mechanism (shown in a few of the different TX2/RX2 datasheets), and that the SIP device is an actual h-bridge (albeit low-power) motor driver of some sort (something like a BA7886).

mooop, if you go to the last page of that link I provided, there should be a link to a more recent forum thread where somebody managed to implement a means of generating the input control signal the RX2 chip expects from the receiver circuit (which is actually generated by the TX2 in the transmitter). You could just solder the chip back in place (remember to orient it properly when you do!) - then drive that input using some of the sample code given in that thread. That way you wouldn't need to go to the trouble of implementing a separate board from parts (unless that is your goal or you want to learn how to do it - no problems with that).

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: