Go Down

Topic: Arduino Uno R3 shows as Atmega 16u2 DFU (Read 832 times) previous topic - next topic

doctorwho8

Jul 01, 2013, 01:12 am Last Edit: Jul 01, 2013, 02:12 am by doctorwho8 Reason: 1
Hello!
I just bought a perfectly new, including fresh out of the box of an Arduino Uno R3, but the screens for devices has it showing as a Atmega 16u2 DFU.

And the drivers do not respond accordingly and naturally Windows tells me it can't find a driver for it. I even installed the development tools with the executable instead of just extracting things from the zip file which I normally work from. I saw the screen there tell me that it was installing the device driver, however the unit wasn't recognized.  I do know that when plugging in the other one, an Arduino Duemilanove, that the system "twangs" and the system picks the FTDI one and it works properly.

However that's not the case here. Its just not being properly selected, and it even doesn't show up the same way that the pages say with regards the IDE and for Windows.

UPDATE:
I tried the unit on my Linux system running Slackware 13.37, and the same thing happened. Also on my Raspberry Pi, same thing. I also plugged in the other fellow an Arduino Duemilanove as I stated before, and indeed it happened as I described.

I think I've got a device which needs to be returned to the store for replacement.

James C4S


I just bought a perfectly new, including fresh out of the box of an Arduino Uno R3, but the screens for devices has it showing as a Atmega 16u2 DFU.

The usb-to-serial firmware isn't loaded.



I do know that when plugging in the other one, an Arduino Duemilanove, that the system "twangs" and the system picks the FTDI one and it works properly.

Since the Uno doesn't use a FTDI chip, this step really doesn't tell you anything other than the USB port works correctly.



I think I've got a device which needs to be returned to the store for replacement.

Personally, I would return it.  However, you could try re-flashing the 16u2:
http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

doctorwho8

Hello!
Problem solved. That device was returned to a different Radio Shack, and the newer one works exactly as advertised. I believe it was returned before, because the "Standard Disclaimer" form that was inside this one, wasn't inside the other. Of course the Store Manager doesn't want to believe me, but that's to be expected. :smiley-eek:

Go Up