Go Down

Topic: Need advice on programming articles (Read 509 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi everyone,

I've been working with my Arduino for over two years now, at home and at college, and I feel I've gotten pretty good at programming. Because of this, I decided to write a few articles to help get newer Arduino programmers into some of the more advanced features of the Arduino and microcontrollers in general.

Here is my first article.

I have quite a list of things that I want to write about, so I was hoping I could get some feedback or advice on this article so I can write my future articles even better.

Thanks.

AWOL

Firstly the sensor value is read into the 'reading' variable. This could take up to a few hundred microseconds.

Except for the first reading, about 100 microseconds. (13 cycles of a 125kHz clock)
Not "a few hundred microseconds".
The first will take about 200 microseconds. (25 cycles of a 125kHz clock)

Next, the 'reading' variable is then sent via Serial comms to the computer. Depending on the baud rate, this could take up to a few milliseconds to complete.

Since about Arduino 1.0 the output is buffered, and will be sent out during the "delay()", so the completion time will be during the delay.

Code: [Select]
ISR(TIMER1_COMPA_vect) 
{
  // Code in here gets executed every time the counter
  // reaches, in this case, 6250 (every 100 ms)
  reading = analogRead(sensorPin);
}

IMO, an ISR is not the place to be doing an analogRead. Too slow.
Initiate a read in an ISR and interrupt again on completion, but don't sit in an ISR doing a busy-wait.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Thanks AWOL.

Code: [Select]

ISR(TIMER1_COMPA_vect) 
{
  // Code in here gets executed every time the counter
  // reaches, in this case, 6250 (every 100 ms)
  reading = analogRead(sensorPin);
}

IMO, an ISR is not the place to be doing an analogRead. Too slow.
Initiate a read in an ISR and interrupt again on completion, but don't sit in an ISR doing a busy-wait.

Yeah I see what you mean. I was trying to keep things simple by just using the analogRead function, but what you said would be much better.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy