Go Down

Topic: USB Conflict Problem (Read 625 times) previous topic - next topic

mikeso51

I have a problem communicating between my Toshiba laptop and my Arduino Uno, and any help would be much appreciated by a newbie.

In case it's relevant, the laptop is an old 7140 Portege with a single USB port.  The port is low speed (9600).

When I installed the Arduino IDE the Uno came up on port Com4.  Everything seemed ok, and I was able to upload sketches and run them.  The problem came when I tried to use serial comms from the Uno back to the PC.  This works, but it seems to tie up the serial bus, so that when I try to upload a new sketch I get an error message saying Com4 is already in use.  When I look at "Ports" in the Tools menu, Com4 no longer shows, and the only way I can regain control is to switch everything off and start again!

Any ideas much appreciated.

Mike

radrm

I have exactly the same problem, have you managed to resolve it.
Richard

mikeso51

Richard

I think I have fixed it.  Using Device Manager on the PC I went into the Ports file and changed Flow Control on the Arduino port (COM 4 on my set up) from OFF to Hardware.  No more conflict, though I do now find that I reset the Arduino every time I open the Serial Monitor (but I can live with that for the time being).

HTH

Mike

radrm

Thanks Mike, that seems to be the answer
Richard

James C4S

I do now find that I reset the Arduino every time I open the Serial Monitor (but I can live with that for the time being).

That's normal, intentional behavior.  It's a feature called "Auto-Reset".
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

eried

You can avoid the reset with: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=118440.0

Reset is still available:
My website: http://ried.cl

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy