Go Down

Topic: Hot to control shower hot and cold water mixing using stepper motors (Read 4345 times) previous topic - next topic

dbp428

I want to create a Shower water controller using an Arduino and 2 stepper motors for the hot and cold water. I have no idea where to start, which Arduino and what accessories?
I thought about removing the faucet handles and modifying some to attach two the stepper motors with gear reduction if needed.

zoomkat

It might be easier to use large servos with faucet valves as they are usually easy to turn, and full rotation is usually less than 180 deg. (at least mine are).
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

PeterH

Servos do sound like an easier approach to get working, but I'd have thought that any existing valves/controls would be inside the shower cubicle and that's a pretty hostile place for any electrics/electronics.

Perhaps you could approach this by using the Arduino to control valves in series with the existing mixer valve / taps rather than control the valve/taps directly? I assume that you will be concerned about the possibility of scalding in which case a sensible approach IMO would be to design your system to restrict the hot water flow to keep the output temperature below the target. This also has nice safer failure modes - you always have an unrestricted cold water supply and always have the option of shutting off the hot water using the existing manual controls if something goes wrong.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

robtillaart

I have no idea where to start

First start with a monitor of the water temperature and the water flow.
use leds as indicators when some (configurable by potmeter) threshold is reached.

Read about PID control in general, then read about PID with the arduino
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Go Up