Go Down

Topic: Ethernet library reference change (Read 2725 times) previous topic - next topic

SurferTim

Jul 05, 2013, 01:22 pm Last Edit: Jul 05, 2013, 01:25 pm by SurferTim Reason: 1
This reference page should be changed to reflect the default setting for the dns server in the function Ethernet.begin(mac,ip).
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/EthernetBegin
Here is the requested change:
ip: the IP address of the device (array of 4 bytes)

dns: the IP address of the dns server (array of 4 bytes). optional: defaults to the device IP address with the last octet set to 1

gateway: the IP address of the network gateway (array of 4 bytes). optional: defaults to the device IP address with the last octet set to 1

subnet: the subnet mask of the network (array of 4 bytes). optional: defaults to 255.255.255.0

edit: Changed wording. My bad.  :smiley-red:
Watch for me on National Geographic Wild "When Sharks Attack: Gulf Coast Killers". Airs on June 22nd.

SurferTim

Jul 10, 2013, 01:00 pm Last Edit: Jul 10, 2013, 01:40 pm by SurferTim Reason: 1
Bump. When you wake up...

edit: Maybe it was the lack of documentation? OK! From IDE v1.0.5 Ethernet.cpp.
Code: [Select]
void EthernetClass::begin(uint8_t *mac_address, IPAddress local_ip)
{
  // Assume the DNS server will be the machine on the same network as the local IP
  // but with last octet being '1'
  IPAddress dns_server = local_ip;
  dns_server[3] = 1;
  begin(mac_address, local_ip, dns_server);
}
Watch for me on National Geographic Wild "When Sharks Attack: Gulf Coast Killers". Airs on June 22nd.

SurferTim

Is this the place we are supposed to submit changes to the reference pages? Or is there another way of submitting them?

Federico Vanzati

I have added it as well as you wrote it.
thanks again!

Until we find a better method for "bug reporting" in the documentation I promise I'll take a look weekly to this section of the forum.
F

SurferTim

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy