Go Down

Topic: Proximity Sensor (Read 819 times) previous topic - next topic

Yari

Hello.  I am new at using Arduino and microcontrollers.  I have an application that uses an inductive proximity sensor with pnp output, 24vdc.  Is there a way that I can use this with an UNO?  I keep reading that we are never to go over the 5V.  Is there a signal conditionning circuit that I can put together to help me out?

Thanks,

Yari.

johnwasser

The load of a digital input is low so a resistor voltage divider should work.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Yari

Thank you johnwasser.

I just want to be sure that I understand.  I will have a Uno powered with 5VDC like usual.  I will have a KS0108 by Adafruit to display the RPM.  The PNP sensor is already on a machine but will be used to count the teeth on a gear so that we can get the RPM.  There are 3 wires, Brown (10-30VDC), Blue (0V) and Black (Signal wire).  Just to make sure I remember a little of my electronics, are you suggesting that I plug the Black wire to a voltage divider in the following manner?

I would have 10VDC power my sensor, put two 1/4Watt 470 ohm resistors in series, connect my black signal wire to the first resistor and ground to the bottom of the second and get a junction wire in between the two resistors with which to connect to the input pin on the Uno?

Thanks again for the help.

johnwasser

> I would have 10VDC power my sensor, put two 1/4Watt 470 ohm resistors in series, connect my black signal wire to the first
> resistor and ground to the bottom of the second and get a junction wire in between the two resistors with which to connect
> to the input pin on the Uno?

Yes, that's what I envisioned.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy