Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: What are people's "Day Jobs" on here?  (Read 3801 times)
SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

heh SEO is also those jerkwads that spam your blog 150 times an hour telling you how great your post was but they could make you #1 on google if you only provide credit information

US
Electronics are the new Legos
View Profile

heh SEO is also those jerkwads that spam your blog 150 times an hour telling you how great your post was but they could make you #1 on google if you only provide credit information
 Different SEO

Chicago
With every answer comes more questions.
View Profile

Photographer, carpenter, recently back-to-school student, artist, consultant, actor.....  avid problem-solver.

We had a "TRS-80 Model 1" in my house when I was born (1970's). I remember writing & playing games in BASIC (and saving/loading them with a cassette tape recorder!) before I was 6. Ha...the Arduino UNO has more memory in that single chip than that TRS-80 had with a pizza-box sized expansion chassis attached! Built my first 3 PC's myself (8088, 8086...monochrome monitors..5 MB HDD....yes, 'MegaByte')

View Profile

I finished my studies as a Music Composer (like "classical music"...), about 10 years ago. I have worked a couple of years as a Music Theory Teacher but then decided to go abroad for one year and do some volunteer work.
I ended up living and working on a Camphill Community with people with special needs (mostly Down Syndrom and Autism) and i LOOOOVED it.
So i stayed for some years.
During this time i also worked in several projects as a composer (just for the fun of it!), like this one:
The Four Elements (i wrote the music and worked on the performances)
http://4elements.netai.net/

Meanwhile i met "the woman of my dreams" and i moved once again to a new country: Germany.
Now i am thinking about going next year again to study. I'm thinking about Interactive Media Design...  any ideas about it?
Something to do with electronics would also be nice, but i'm not sure i have the required baggage to do it.

Hmmm, day job? Dreamer!   smiley-cool

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I teach physics. Been doing that for a little over a decade now. Arduino brought me to electronics and open source hardware. All that age-old C knowledge became useful (too bad x86 assembly wasn't useful). I write arduino libraries, design and sell shields and modules, do projects (hobby based, open source physics lab platform or just paid software/hardware work). College kids should learn with arduino if they want to be future scientists or engineers.

As for cr0sh, I bet colleges in your great state may also accept life experience for credits as in my great state (even at some discounted rate) and rubber stamp you if you write them a check. College degrees decades ago were golden tickets to a good job/life but now is not much more than a receipt of payment, unless your resume says more than just paying tuition.

Oh, by the way, I didn't find Arduino. It found me. An art professor introduced me to Arduino out of the blue.

View Profile

I have Asperger's syndrome and am unable to secure employment. There are so few companies that will employ anyone with a disability, especialy where I live, that the only way I can would be through finding self employment which is easier said than done.  So I spend all my time working on my Magic Candle project with the aim of producing a product which can be manufactured with limited resources, by a social firm for example, which employs people with disabilities.

Instead of basket weaving, quite frankly I'd rather live in a cardboard box than be sentenced to such derogatory futility as that and the other dehumanising schemes that do gooders have up and running for the disabled. So electronics, design and production it is for me.

So I'm working on how to start a social firm without a start up budget. The magic candle project would be the first product to be produced and sold. This kind of employment for people in my situation would mean opportunity to develop skills, as well as work experience and hopefully salary too  smiley

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

@RamJam
So I'm working on how to start a social firm without a start up budget.
Have you thought about using KickStarter or similar sites for your company?
Make sure you get the marketing right smiley-wink

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

I'm retired now. I used to be a programmer as you can probably tell from my posts. smiley

I also dabbled in electronics when I was young (a while ago now) and made some amplifiers using 6GW8 valves (the name sticks in my memory for some reason). Of course a lot has changed since then, and now I'm interested in understanding the theory better.

Maine
Caution: Explosives in use.
View Profile

I worked construction for quite a few years, got comfortable with the job security right before being laid off when the housing market crashed. Now i'm a full time student (Computer Info. Systems) and part time small business owner.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Central Indiana, USA
So many projects, so little time...and money!
View Profile

I provide technical support to our distributors for residential thermostats we manufacture.  I work for a large HVAC manufacturer in the USA.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
View Profile

I'm a systems developer by day who's just starting out in the Arduino world. Only a single project under my belt so far, quite a simple one in design terms but has given me the bug so want to learn more!

Texas
Edison Member
View Profile

Retired;

built my first computer in (about 1974), a mark-8 based on the 8008 CPU, worlds first 8 but CPU.
Love working with electronics (I can't keep up with all the new inovations). Lots of fun working with the arduino, and its community.

Good luck, Jack

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

I work at a company where you can make up your own title - so I decided to call my self Senior Principal Master Consultant (if you're over 50 the company demands you include the word Senior). People who hire me (or "someone" from our company) know they'll get a decent bit of expertise in Oracle Databases and related system stuff. I've been in to computers since ... ehr ... late seventies. Assembly programming, system management, and a decade or two of this database stuff.

Electronics? I dabbled with as young, never quite got the hang of it (did manage to burn of a few 7400-chips) - did manage to get enough of a transistor circuit to work to drive a small electric motor with the SC/MP chip/board controlled by a switch. (Thinking about it, that was a true for-runner for the Arduino - a small development board for the hobbyist, a few IO lines. As no-one had computers to compile&download, the board had a small Hexkeypad & 8 digit display where you could manually enter/examine memory - ie you programmed it direct in HEX.) Then a total pause from electronics until a few years ago when I discovered a local Hackerspace.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

(if you're over 50 the company demands you include the word Senior).

I hope if you are under 50 you have to include the word Junior. smiley-wink

Chicago
With every answer comes more questions.
View Profile

I worked construction for quite a few years, got comfortable with the job security right before being laid off when the housing market crashed. Now i'm a full time student (Computer Info. Systems) and part time small business owner.

Yup!  My story too...
Except for the major. I'm finishing up my engineering degree. School in my 30's is MUCH different than when I was 18!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: