Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: [RESOLVED]Is a Special loader needed for Mini Pro??  (Read 328 times)
Illinois, USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Is a Special Controller Firmware Loader and Programmer needed for Mini Pro??

I have had no luck with direct 5V serial connections to load Mini Pro modules.

Is this type of special loader needed?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-Controller-3-3V-5V-Firmware-Loader-and-Programmer-Arduino-FREE-SHIPPING-/321135662997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac52d5795
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:40:51 pm by Ashton » Logged

View Profile

Yes, the boards don't have an onboard serial->usb converter, so unless you'd like to use a second arduino to program it via the ICSP pins, you'll need one of these devices.

You should make sure you get a 6 pin one, and make sure that all six have unique signals on them - any less than this, and the IDE can't reset the thing to facilitate upload. That means you have to press the reset button manually anytime you want to upload a sketch.

I just bought a pair of pro minis the other week and have been loving them. It's nice to be able to suck micro amps and draw from a single-cell LiPo.
I just remove it and run from batteries/breadboard psu whenever I'm not programming it or monitoring it via the serial port.
(I don't think you should have external power & this device connected - there could be magic smoke)
You can actually buy Ft232 modules a little cheaper than the one you've linked to. Here's the one that I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360654316290
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:36:22 pm by enhzflep » Logged

Illinois, USA
View Profile

That means you have to press the reset button manually anytime you want to upload a sketch.

So, I have tried the press Reset in every way I can imagine, and tried connecting the DTR line to the Reset as described in this article http://tutorial.cytron.com.my/2012/02/28/loading-program-to-arduino-promini/, with no luck whatsoever.  I'd love to be able to upload by using the Reset.

Have you ever successfully uploaded using the Reset button and a common USB serial adapter?

I'm struggling to get a small project working this weekend, without waiting a week or two to order another part.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:31:17 pm by Ashton » Logged

View Profile

Have you ever successfully uploaded using the Reset button and a common USB serial adapter?
I'm struggling to get a small project working this weekend, without waiting a week or two to order another part.
:Groans:
Kindof, and it was a painful experience. We used the LeoStick, a Leonardo clone. Because of the way the Leonardo is made, there can be problems with that (it has 1 usb PID/VID when it first boots, switching to a unique one every time it is running your sketch) On a mates computer running XP it was nothing but painful. (It has built in usb->serial, so I didn't have to contend with another module) The drivers only let you communicate with the PID/VID that is present before your own sketch starts up. So, you had to time the delivery of new code with the couple of seconds window between power-up and user-sketch being run.

We'd hit upload, wait about 6 seconds, since that was how long it took to get to about 1.5 seconds before the upload began. Then we'd hit reset and see if we'd reset it at the right time. After a while I got pretty good, but it was the whole 'compile before upload' idea that seemed to make it harder than it needed to be.

With a different mechanism to upload the sketch, I reckon it would have been miles easier. You may consider having a look for Code Blocks Arduino Edition, and more particularly for Arduino Builder by the same author - it's in the same package. You can  have the sketch compiled into .HEX files which are then ready to upload the instant you click the go button. That could very well be easier, since it's just hit the Arduino's reset then hit upload.

For what it's worth - the IDE didn't indicate a successful upload in that scenario, the only way I could tell it had been succesful was by changing the timing in the blink sketch and watching for a change of blink rate.

Illinois, USA
View Profile

Its working now!!

I was testing several low cost Chinese USB serial adapters, and a Prolithic one began working.

I hold down the Reset switch, before pressing Upload, and release when the IDE displays Uploading.
Also, now my serial adapter is powering the Mini Pro...

Thanks

View Profile

Fantastic.
You're welcome. smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: