Go Down

Topic: Multiple Arduino boards on same computer- can I do it easily? (Read 417 times) previous topic - next topic

bigred1212

I have a Win XP, SP3 machine running Arduino Alpha 0018 using a Spark Fun FTDI basic board to interface with an Ardweeny. 

Works great.  I can do stuff.

I got a brand spanking new Uno for my birthday.

I was going to set the Uno up to run on my Win 7 box, but then I wondered.

Can I have both run on my XP box?  The last thing I want is to go through and update the Arduino software and all of a sudden my FTDI board and Ardweeny don't work.  I'd like to just be able to make a selection on the Arduino software menu and jump back and forth depending on which one I plug in.  Can I do that? Any suggestions in this regard or will it "just work" and I need to suck it up and do it?

CrossRoads

Open multiple copies of the IDE, have each talking to a different com port/arduino.
I've done 2 at a time under WinVista.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

bigred1212

James C4S

running Arduino Alpha 0018

Why?  Either something is mis-stated or you are using a very out of date release.  One which doesn't support the Uno.

Can I have both run on my XP box? 

Yes.  Each will get it's own Serial Port.

But the Uno won't work with 0018.

'd like to just be able to make a selection on the Arduino software menu and jump back and forth depending on which one I plug in.

Yes, that is what you will have to do.  Select the board and appropriate Serial Port.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Go Up