Go Down

Topic: Using a Oscillator vs. Crystal with Caps (Read 380 times) previous topic - next topic

Constantin

Hi, I wonder if anyone can enlighten me regarding the relative merit of using a crystal with load capacitors vs. an actively-driven oscillator like this Abracon. Is this a pure cost decision?

I really appreciated the ease with which some resonators could be used with Atmegas and wonder if oscillators like the one above (plus a de-coupling capacitor) might also make my life easier (in return for a small additional cost and a VDD line to the oscillator). Thoughts?

Erdin

If the price would be almost the same, the clock oscillators would be used.
However, a crystal with two capacitor is easy.
If an Arduino enters sleep mode, a crystal uses no power.
The avr chips can use a crystal or a resonator. Some Arduino boards use a resonator.

CrossRoads

Oscillator is nice as you can get one that is thermally compesated &  higher accuracy, good for clock applications.'

As you can see from this selection of MEMS oscillators from Digikey, they are kind of pricey look at 1-lots:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?pv183=3135&FV=fff4000d%2Cfff8016e%2C22c0011&k=oscillator&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
Stability is quoted at +/- 10ppm.  3.3V power is needed.
It draws quite a bit of current while operating - 7mA typical.
It requires a load resistor of at least 10K.
It has a slow start up time- 1.5mS typical = 24000 clock cycles.

Crystals are much less, and are available with same +/- 10ppm
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?pv139=17&pv253=19&pv537=1&FV=fff4000d%2Cfff8016d&k=crystal&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
3.3v power is not needed, oscillation is powered by '328P buffers.
No external load resistor is required.
The '328P has programmable # of clock cyckes to start, see seciton 9 of the datasheet:
"The oscillator is required to oscillate for a minimum number of cycles before the clock is considered stable. An
internal ripple counter monitors the oscillator output clock, and keeps the internal reset active for a given number of
clock cycles. The reset is then released and the device will start to execute. The recommended oscillator start-up
time is dependent on the clock type, and varies from 6 cycles for an externally applied clock to 32K cycles for a low
frequency crystal."
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy