Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42   Go Down
Author Topic: UECIDE: A New Fork of the IDE  (Read 45307 times)
UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have been spending some time taking a fork of a fork of the Arduino IDE (originally forked at 0023 and passed through being MPIDE since then) and done some big changes to it.

I have ripped out a huge amount of the internal code and completely re-written it.

It now supports multiple different board types (not just Arduno, but anything else you can think of too) through pluggable "cores".  It has the Arduino 1.0.5 core in there at the moment as standard, and you can download cores for other board types too.

Boards are now completely self-contained folders, so creating and distributing your board settings is now a doddle.

There's even a powerful plugin system, so you can write plugins in Java for it to extend how it works - I've written some already.

Libraries, cores, boards, plugins, etc, can all be installed through the menus, so no messing with finding the right folder.

I have written a new serial terminal interface specially for this - it supports full ANSI colour and cursor controls, and sending of individual key-presses - just like a "proper" serial console.

I have also written a "graphing" plugin that allows you to draw pretty graphs using just a few simple serial commands.

Also, the system is completely rebrandable to suit your needs.

I've named it "UECIDE" - "Universal Embedded Computing IDE".

I've reached a point where I want people to start having a play and see what they think and tell me what's not working right.

Read more at http://uecide.org

Oh, and if you want to help out, why not fork the repo and have a play with the internals?  https://github.com/majenkotech/UECIDE
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:18:52 pm by majenko » Logged

Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

There was a problem last night whereby the Windows version wouldn't work.   smiley-eek-blue  Needless to say this is now fixed, so if you downloaded the windows version and were disappointed that it didn't do anything, download it again and you should find shiny new IDE goodness is at your fingertips.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Looks pretty nice Majenko, I've not tried anything clever like adding cores but the look and feel is nice. Speaking of which the font change has no affect. (Windows version).

_____
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

Looks pretty nice Majenko, I've not tried anything clever like adding cores but the look and feel is nice. Speaking of which the font change has no affect. (Windows version).

_____
Rob
Which font change?

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

File>Preferences>Select Font...

I selected but nothing changed.

_____
Rob

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

File>Preferences>Select Font...

I selected but nothing changed.

_____
Rob
That font is for the serial console only.  I haven't got the ability to change the editor font yet, though that could be added fairly easily I guess.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

OK, no problems.

_____
Rob

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

I have just overhauled the preferences system, and just for you I have added an option to select the editor font.

Not all fonts work nicely with it though, as the editor can't work out where to put the cursor in relation to the font sometimes.

Arduino rocks / OpenLCB rocks
View Profile

I just downloaded this for my Mac, and it fails to open, as it has the wrong Java version.  What is it expecting? 

Also, is the Launchpad support for the 430 series or the ARM series? 

Thanks!
David

Dr. David Harris
OpenLCB Dev Team

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

I just downloaded this for my Mac, and it fails to open, as it has the wrong Java version.  What is it expecting? 

Also, is the Launchpad support for the 430 series or the ARM series? 

Thanks!
David

I compile it all under Java 1.7 as that's the current version.  What version of OS X and Java do you have?

The Launchpad is currently only for the 430 series.

Edit: I am just uploading a new version that should (hopefully) work on Java 1.6.  It was actually only a couple of the plugins that were 1.7, the rest was already 1.6.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:14:10 pm by majenko » Logged

View Profile

The compiler and the avr libraries are updated or they are the same as the Arduino IDE 1.0.5?

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

The compiler and the avr libraries are updated or they are the same as the Arduino IDE 1.0.5?
They are pulled directly from the Arduino 1.0.5 downloads from the main arduino.cc site.

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

I have just released an extremely experimental version of UECIDE (version 0.5.0a).

This version has replaced a large amount of the internals.  The old editor has gone completely, and it's been replaced by a RSyntaxTextArea, which supports proper C++ syntax highlighting, code folding, etc.  In association with that the old tabs have completely gone, to be replaced with a proper JTabbedPane.

The RSyntaxTextArea handles a lot of the functionality itself, so things like find/replace, indent/outdent, undo/redo etc have been recoded to take advantage of it.

The code compiling has also changed - it's now inside the sketch, which is far more logical.  Also, the sketch has changed to have a collection of SketchFile objects in it which contain the actual sketch file information.

You can now also embed a board type into the sketch and it will automatically switch to that board when the sketch loads:
Code:
#pragma parameter board=uno
The board is now contained within the editor rather than the whole application, so it is possible to have two windows with different boards selected at once.  However I haven't done the same with the serial ports, but when I do you can work on two boards on two serial ports at the same time.

Also, lots of things have been cleaned up and made more sensible.

As this is so experimental there's no guarantee that it will work at all, so please give it a go ane feed back to me what isn't working for you or what should be slightly different.

Rapa Nui
Edison Member
Pukao hats cleaning services
View Profile

There is a lot of inputs from folk in eried's topic http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=118440.0

PS: hopefully my SSD disk does not wear out before the 1.0 version smiley smiley

PS1: When I hover over Sketch <-> Hardware <-> Tools it freezes for about 7secs (XP SP3).

PS2: can we set font in the compile window? - that font size is not readable (also I'd like to see the verbose option there)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:06:06 am by pito » Logged

UK
Faraday Member
Where is your SSCCE?!?!
View Profile

There is a lot of inputs from folk in eried's topic http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=118440.0

PS: hopefully my SSD disk does not wear out before the 1.0 version smiley smiley

PS1: When I hover over Sketch <-> Hardware <-> Tools it freezes for about 7secs (XP SP3).

That PS1 is possibly it rebuilding the serial ports list whenever you go to the tools list - something I want to fix.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42   Go Up
Jump to: