Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Dial Up Modem shield  (Read 8356 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Dial Up modem's days are long gone but Land line still exists either in the form of home pbx or PSTN, An Arduino based Dial Up modem shield can be used for a lot of fun projects.
I'm no electronics expert but modem chips are already available with AT Command support
http://www.conexant.com/Product/modems/embmodems/CX93040/Pages/default.aspx

I think Arduino can produce this shield in no time what do you think?  smiley-confuse

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:45:14 pm by burraak » Logged

Norfolk UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Potentially a good idea. Maybe better with the CX93011 serial version of the chip though.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it. Piss on it and walk away.

View Profile

Yes Serial based chips are also available It can open a whole new world to Arduino Telephony with more compatible shields like 4 port extension we can build a small  Arduino based home Telephone Exchange system with all sort of programing we want
If Arduino guys don't do it  then someone should put this project to KickStarter

View Profile

Arduino Answering Machine/Caller ID - Cold caller blocker, take my money already. smiley-grin

View Profile

Exactly,  possibility are unlimited lets hope someone to bring this Idea to life I emailed this to few shield designers lets see if they take some interest into it  smiley-wink

View Profile

what about this Board?

http://www.e-lins.com/EN/index.html

View Profile

That board seems GSM based, Arduino already has GSM shield ,The concept shield in question is for land-line phone

View Profile

Dial Up modem's days are long gone but Land line still exists either in the form of home pbx or PSTN, An Arduino based Dial Up modem shield can be used for a lot of fun projects.
I'm no electronics expert but modem chips are already available with AT Command support
http://www.conexant.com/Product/modems/embmodems/CX93040/Pages/default.aspx

I think Arduino can produce this shield in no time what do you think?  smiley-confuse

May I ask where you can buy?

View Profile

That's a concept picture and not available as far as I know.

Maybe if enough people want this (and why not?) Adafruit could easily produce something like this.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

This would be a good project .
Has anybody  been able to do basic text /data control / file transfers via a 56kmodem and an arduino ?.

I have a place that has land line but no mobile cell coverage (out on a farm ) so it would be nice to be able to talk to a modem and transfer data  or send messages for control  or for modem to automatically via an arduino .. send this data to another device via land line so it can transfer this data to an online html page etc  or online file ...

Norfolk UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I'm surprised this has still not become a viable project. As it's an ideal system to swap data over very long distances. Probably due to issues/cost of getting a shield certified  for connection to phone line.
Radicom seem to do some ideal looking modules
http://www.radi.com/modular51.htm
http://www.radi.com/modular29.htm
but probably not for hobby use.
Radicom specializes in designing and manufacturing modems for embedded system designers, original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and volume corporate users.
I just wish I had kept my old USR modems now.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it. Piss on it and walk away.

View Profile

Unless it could sold as "not approved for connection with the public telephone network line" getout clause.

Vellerman sell a Telephone Amp
 http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?country=us&lang=enu&id=350560
kit, which I doubt has been approved for connection either. smiley

Arduino rocks
View Profile

These look great any idea how much they cost ?
I guess it is possible to use these as they have approval to connect.

My needs would be to have an Arduino data logger collect time stamped information then , connect it to a modem shield which at time interval X rings up another arduino unit  or pc with modem and sends some data it has collected  .It is ideal for places that have a phone but no internet .

I was also investigating the use of warning module arduino that can call another phone without it being rung up and using the ring tone and length of call to issue basic information to another module that listens for ringing and length of ringing .

London
Edison Member
View Profile

I've no use for one, but it looks a very good idea. With it, you'd be able to have a remote Arduino automatically 'phone home' to upload collected data. But couldn't a USB shield, with a USB mobile [cell] phone dongle do the same job?

Norfolk UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I was also investigating the use of warning module arduino that can call another phone without it being rung up and using the ring tone and length of call to issue basic information to another module that listens for ringing and length of ringing .
I though I had replied to this a while back but it never seemed to make it to the board.
You could maybe use DTMF as it allows 16 different tones so with a combination of *, #, A, B, C, D & 0-9 you could maybe send some quite complex messages.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: