Go Down

Topic: DS1302 Clock not getting time (Read 3058 times) previous topic - next topic

Pete999

I have the Nuelectronics SD shield plugged directly in a Mega 256 board.  I am using Mr Sparks program to set and read time and date (see below).  I can see pulses on pins 5, 6, and 7 on J1E, so I believe the chip is alive.  I have connections from the SDI port to Digital pins 50-53 on the Mega board.  On the serial monitor, I get "2000-00-00  00:00:00".
There are no complier errors.  I am guessing it may be a connection problem, but don't know what else to try.  Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

Code: [Select]
/*
Example sketch for interfacing with the DS1302 timekeeping chip.

Copyright (c) 2009, Matt Sparks
All rights reserved.

http://quadpoint.org/projects/arduino-ds1302
*/
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <DS1302.h>

/* Set the appropriate digital I/O pin connections */
uint8_t CE_PIN   = 5;
uint8_t IO_PIN   = 6;
uint8_t SCLK_PIN = 7;

/* Create buffers */
char buf[50];
char day[10];
const int LED = 10;

/* Create a DS1302 object */
DS1302 rtc(CE_PIN, IO_PIN, SCLK_PIN);

void print_time()
{
  /* Get the current time and date from the chip */
  Time t = rtc.time();
digitalWrite(LED, HIGH);

/* Name the day of the week */
  memset(day, 0, sizeof(day));         /* clear day buffer */
  switch (t.day) {
    case 1:
      strcpy(day, "Sunday");
      break;
    case 2:
      strcpy(day, "Monday");
      break;
    case 3:
      strcpy(day, "Tuesday");
      break;
    case 4:
      strcpy(day, "Wednesday");
      break;
    case 5:
      strcpy(day, "Thursday");
      break;
    case 6:
      strcpy(day, "Friday");
      break;
    case 7:
      strcpy(day, "Saturday");
      break;
  }

/* Format the time and date and insert into the temporary buffer */
  snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s %04d-%02d-%02d %02d:%02d:%02d",
           day,
           t.yr, t.mon, t.date,
           t.hr, t.min, t.sec);

/* Print the formatted string to serial so we can see the time */
  Serial.println(buf);
}

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);

/* Initialize a new chip by turning off write protection and clearing the
     clock halt flag. These methods needn't always be called. See the DS1302
     datasheet for details. */
   rtc.write_protect(false);
   rtc.halt(false);

pinMode(LED, OUTPUT);

/* Make a new time object to set the date and time */
  /*   Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 21:16:37.            */
  Time t(2009, 5, 19, 21, 16, 37, 3);

/* Set the time and date on the chip */
  rtc.time(t);
  // digitalWrite(LED, HIGH);

}

/* Loop and print the time every second */
void loop()
{
  print_time();
  delay(500);
  digitalWrite(LED, LOW);
  delay(500);
}

Erdin

It is confusing for me. I would like more links to the things you are using, and please be more careful with typing.

Your board is a Arduino Mega 2560 ?
You are using this code ? https://github.com/msparks/arduino-ds1302
Is there information for that SD nuelectronics shield ? the www.nuelectronics.com doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Do you mean the SPI bus ? That bus is not for the DS1302.
Do you use a breakout board for the DS1303 ? Which one ? Is a battery installed ? How is it connected ?

The DS1302 has weird timing. That is why I don't like the msparks code. It doesn't take care about that timing.
The DS1302 uses three wires. It can be any wires. In the sketch 5, 6, 7 are used. Did you connect those to the DS1302 ?

You could try this one to test the DS1302, http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DS1302

Pete999

Thanks for the response.  Yes, the Mega 2560 rev 3.  The Nuelectronics official name was "Real-Time Data-log & IO Shield for Arduino V1.0" dated Apr 30, 2010.  And this shield is plugged directly (on top) of the Mega board.  I cannot find Nuelectronics any longer either. Yes, I am trying the Sparks code as it appeared to be the easiest to debug.<g> 
The SPI connections mentioned in my original post was for testing the SD card, and the hardware, software, and interfacing works fine, but it doesn't do anything with time functions.
I don't use a breakout board as the shield plugs into the Mega 2560 board.  I can see clock pulses on J1 pin 7, CE pulses on J1 pin 5, and pulses on J1 pin 6.  Yes, it has a battery.  Is there a way I can send you a photo?

I will explore the link that you provided and post the results.  I appreciate your input!
Steve

Erdin

It seems like a wiring problem.
Or a defective crystal. There are many problems on this forum for the DS1307 (RTC with I2C interface) with bad crystals.

When writing a post, you see "Additional Options...", that is to upload a photo.

Pete999

I had a really good reply, but the system barfed with 3 photos, so just sending 1 photo.
The short version- I think the crystal is good because the clock pulses look fine.
I tried that program that you pointed to, had to change the Sclk, IO, and CE pins for my board (I used pins 7, 6, and 5 instead of 6, 7,and 8).  But I tried it both ways, no joy.
If you could suggest a better battery backed clock and SD board, I am not opposed to buying something that works.
Thanks,
Steve

Erdin

According to the photo, it is just the chip, the crystal and the battery. There is not a lot that can go wrong.

What happened with that sketch ?
All zero's for the time and date ?

The DS1307 clock modules from Sparkfun and Adafruit should work. They don't use the cheapest components, but components that are reliable.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/264
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/99

Pete999

I just ordered one from Adafruit, so unless someone has a flash of insight, we can shut this one down.
I appreciate your help!

Best,
Steve

Go Up