Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: reason for no on/off switch on arduino?  (Read 1440 times)
Canada
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The boards I like using most have a jumper on them to switch between USB and regulator.  It's real easy jut to pull it off to power down.  Sometimes you can make things too easy and you loose a little versatility in the process.

Facts just don't care if you ignore them.

A programmer since Mainframes Ruled the Earth, I am constantly looking for the new and interesting in computing and photography.
View Profile

... I have finished projects in enclosures that use a wall wart and the DC jack. No simple way to turn it off except unplug it, which may wear out the jack over time.  ...

How about splicing an inline switch (such as a rotary one) into the lead from the wall wart?  Works for me :-)

God Member
View Profile

you have to handle naughty voltages with care. 

extreme caution !

as for the switch. with multiple power input sources, it seems that the additional circuits for a single cut off, or multiple off switches becomes unwieldy.

also, the cost of switches becomes high. and reliability in mechanical things in miniature, is low.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Get one of these:

* 7015.jpg (46.44 KB, 285x315 - viewed 4 times.)

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Canada
God Member
View Profile

A jumper placed at the right point in the circuit would cost $0.03.  Probably less in the quantities they make Arduinos.

Edison Member
Now, More Than Ever
View Profile

A jumper placed at the right point in the circuit would cost $0.03.  Probably less in the quantities they make Arduinos.

The boards I like using most have a jumper on them to switch between USB and regulator.  It's real easy jut to pull it off to power down.  Sometimes you can make things too easy and you loose a little versatility in the process.

And that would lead to another question that would be asked over and over and over:
"I lost my little do-hickey. Anyone know where I can get more?"

Anybody who needs a switch can rig one up.

"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

A jumper placed at the right point in the circuit would cost $0.03.  Probably less in the quantities they make Arduinos.

Pulling a little jumper off the board then putting it back on every time I change a wire would annoy me intensely.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Canada
God Member
View Profile

And that would lead to another question that would be asked over and over and over:
"I lost my little do-hickey. Anyone know where I can get more?"

Anybody who needs a switch can rig one up.

They can rig up a switch but they can't take care of a shorting block?

Oh, right.  I almost forgot 2-things:
 1) Thou shall never speak against the design of the Arduino gods, for it is flawless.
and
2) People who buy genuine Arduinos are really that stupid.

You know, I'm no genius (I'm sure you'll agree with that), but I've... a) never lost a jumper off the boards I have,  and b) Long ago I bought a big bag of them on eBay for about $2 for the time I should ever need one.

Canada
God Member
View Profile

Pulling a little jumper off the board then putting it back on every time I change a wire would annoy me intensely.

I could see you doing things that way.

So, unplugging your wall wart every time you change a wire, or reaching to toggle a soon to wear out switch every time you change a wire is a real improvement?

Okay, you win.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

reaching to toggle a soon to wear out switch every time you change a wire is a real improvement?

Switches can be rated in the millions of uses. That's more than the flash memory on several Arduinos.

Edison Member
Now, More Than Ever
View Profile

Oh, right.  I almost forgot 2-things:
 1) Thou shall never speak against the design of the Arduino gods, for it is flawless.
and
2) People who buy genuine Arduinos are really that stupid.

1) I don't see it that way, I just don't see the merit of using a shunt for a power switch (in this context or probably any other).
Why get so worked up? It's not as though the "Arduino gods" give a monkey's what I think and will pan your most excellent idea based on my comments.
2) I don't get the inference. How does losing a shunt make anyone stupid?

Don't react - Read.

Canada
God Member
View Profile

1) I don't see it that way, I just don't see the merit of using a shunt for a power switch (in this context or probably any other).
Why get so worked up? It's not as though the "Arduino gods" give a monkey's what I think and will pan your most excellent idea based on my comments.
It's simple, cheap and easy to use.  Of course, this does not cover Fungus' application of swapping it on and off for every wire or other change (ad minutia) you make.  However, I have boards that have the facility and it really is handy to cut the power when you need to.  No additions required.  If this is really confusing you and our Spanish compatriot, I could arrange a video on how the whole complicated and outrageously difficult to fathom thing works.

2) I don't get the inference. How does losing a shunt make anyone stupid?
Look up the word 'facetious'.  It applies to the comment.

Edison Member
Now, More Than Ever
View Profile

I guess you had the "last word" a year ago and then somebody dug this subject back up.
I hope it will go back to sleep for another year.
Good grief.
I'm not confused. And "no, thanks" on the youtube part. 
I understood your brilliant intent. I just disagree with your assumptions - so I'll go set myself on fire.

Don't react - Read.

Shelby Township, Disco, Michigan
God Member
View Profile

Use the On/Off switch on your PC.

Just kidding......

Edison Member
View Profile

Uuughhh!

Buy or build a  capacitive touch sensor!     

Wear that out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: