Go Down

Topic: how to detect coin mech pulses (Read 780 times) previous topic - next topic

steve_w

Hey,

I'd really appreciate some advice on a project that I'm right in the middle of. 
I hope I've posted in the right section - I've searched the rest o the forum but I still don't really understand how to tackle my problem.

I'm trying to get a coin-mech (the type used in arcade machines) to work with the arduino. it
is a single coin type that allows the pulse to be set manually.

The wiring harness for the mech is as follows:

grey line: counter (+/-)
red line: DC +12V
White line: Coin Signal
Black Line GND
grey Line: counter (+/-)

The spec sheet for the mech states that the timer Switch, for synchronising the system has three options:
100ms
50ms
30ms

-----

OK.. from what I understand i would need to use the White Line to ascertain when a correct coin has been inserted - counting the pulses, I believe..

Firstly, I haven't been able to work this out.
Secondly, I think I blew one of the pins by putting the line straight into my arduino - how do I avoid this?

Many thanks for any advice!

fungus

Did you connect all the ground lines together (mech+Arduino)?

What voltage do you measure on the white line with a multimeter?
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

steve_w

Hi Fungus,

I haven't tied all the ground lines together should I do so?

The Voltage from the coin line is 6v

Thanks.

Grumpy_Mike

Yes all grounds need to be connected together.

liudr

If the coin mech gives 6V output, then you need a voltage divider to drop it to 5V. Try a white-1Kohm-5kohm-gnd circuit and use arduino to sense between the two resistors. What are grey counter +/-?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy