Go Down

Topic: Shift Register that can give me more than 8 pins ? (Read 875 times) previous topic - next topic

firashelou

hello guys,
i need please a shift register that can give me more than 8 pins , maybe about 10 and more and is similar to the 595 ?

and thanks in advance
Aiming for the unreachable !

strykeroz

Hi,

An easy way is to daisy-chain more 595's.  Check this example where two are used to drive 16 outputs (in this case simple LEDs).

Cheers !
Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

firashelou

Jul 18, 2013, 02:09 pm Last Edit: Jul 18, 2013, 02:12 pm by firashelou Reason: 1
yes i know it but it would be better if i get one IC in the circuit to have more space for other components

fungus

There's this: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ls674.pdf

But they're double-wide so it won't save any space and don't ask me where you'd get one for less than about $40.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

firashelou

There's this: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ls674.pdf

But they're double-wide so it won't save any space and don't ask me where you'd get one for less than about $40.

aw ok then no for sure i won't buy it !! the 595 cost is 0.5$ !! :D

pwillard

Yup, Mouser.com price: $31.10 and its roughly the equivalent of 2 cascaded 595's

BulletMagnet83

If you want to save space you could always use SMD ones for your final design... those packages aren't very challenging to solder and you can stuff a LOT of them in a small space.

firashelou

If you want to save space you could always use SMD ones for your final design... those packages aren't very challenging to solder and you can stuff a LOT of them in a small space.

i don't know how to work with SMDs and i don't feel i like the SMD !!

MAS3

How about the PCA9555 ?
Has 16 bidirectional pins.
Don't know about availability, but the datasheet mentions through hole pins.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

cjdelphi

SMD 595's are the best way for 2 reasons.. 1. cost 2. space

firashelou

SMD 595's are the best way for 2 reasons.. 1. cost 2. space

but it can be used as the normal one ?! i mean like it can't be soldered like you solder the normal IC

pwillard

why not.  I "normally" solder SMD's quite often with my normal soldering iron.  It takes a steady hand and some patience... but it works.

firashelou

why not.  I "normally" solder SMD's quite often with my normal soldering iron.  It takes a steady hand and some patience... but it works.

well maybe someday i'll try it, cz i have an SMD chip but it's very very small, maybe a socket will make it easy

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy