Go Down

Topic: Steppers for CNC (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

WannaBeGnome

I still don´t get it. By what sould i choose the right stepper? I am pretty interested in this. Can you post me any article about this?

Grumpy_Mike

How about this:-

WannaBeGnome

Thanks, i will read it. :)

WannaBeGnome

Today, i was browsing ebay, and found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Axis-CNC-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-TB6560-0-5A-2-5A-/360688392533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fab41955, it can drive 3 stepers, up to 2,5A, and it is pretty cheap. It can hold motors, that are recommended to use with machine i posted before.  ( http://www.buildyourcnc.com/item/electronicsAndMotors-nema24-425ozin ). Do you think, is it a good idea to use combination of these with arduino? Or connect just driver board do PC via Serial Port?

Grumpy_Mike

From what I can see it looks a nice board, with the features you want.

WannaBeGnome

Would you recommend plugging it to arduino like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHLrMPR7ws , and then use GRBL, or plug it directly to PC via Serial port and use Mach3 or simmilar software?

Grumpy_Mike

Well I am not a PC user so Mach3 is out for me.
The advantage of using an arduino with an SD card is that you can program long jobs into the card and not tie up your computer while it mills.

WannaBeGnome

Hmm, but i read somwhere, that Serial port is better for CNCs because it can send informations faster than USB (don´t know if its true)

Grumpy_Mike

Hmm, but i read somwhere, that Serial port is better for CNCs because it can send informations faster than USB (don´t know if its true)

It is not true.

WannaBeGnome

Jul 28, 2013, 07:33 pm Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 08:07 pm by WannaBeGnome Reason: 1
Thanks for all answers and patience with my dumb questions :) Just one last  :smiley-mr-green: . If i would like to find equivalent to this motor http://www.buildyourcnc.com/Documents/PN.SM60HT86-2008BF-U%20(inhouse%20PN.60BYGH303-13)%20(1).pdf , should i be looking for motor with holding torque 3,1 N.m?

Grumpy_Mike

should i be looking for motor with holding torque 3,1 N.m?

Yes that or greater. It does no harm to have more, it just means you will be able to drive it faster.

Robin2

One needs to be careful here. If you use USB to send one byte at a time it can be very slow - it's not what it's designed for - but some old (pre usb) PC control programs may have controlled external devices one byte at a time, (especially with the parallel port) and those old programs don't work properly with a USB-serial device.

...R

It is not true.

WannaBeGnome

One needs to be careful here. If you use USB to send one byte at a time it can be very slow - it's not what it's designed for - but some old (pre usb) PC control programs may have controlled external devices one byte at a time, (especially with the parallel port) and those old programs don't work properly with a USB-serial device.

...R

It is not true.

I am planning to use Mach3 or GRBL. Do they control devices one byte at a time?

Robin2

Jul 29, 2013, 04:59 pm Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013, 05:06 pm by Robin2 Reason: 1
I don't know the products but if they are reasonably new versions they have probably been written with USB in mind. Presumably the software assumes the CNC device has a USB connection?

...R

MarkT

Mach3 is a proprietry Windows program I believe, GRBL is open-source Gcode interpretter and runs on Arduino
compatibles, completely different beasts!

There is LinuxCNC to consider too, which has an open architecture and an extensible hardware abstraction
layer (there may already be drivers for it out there for your hardware).
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up