Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Control Multiple Steppers (But Only One-At-A-Time)  (Read 1303 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Unfortunately, the specification of DC resistance (50 ohms) doesn't say whether that is for half a winding or a whole winding.

The 12 volt version of the same motor has coil resistance  125 half & 250 full.   The 5v has 50 & 100. 

In full stepping mode only one half coil energized at a time.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

OK, so it only takes 100mA per winding then.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

Awesome. So what type of diode should I use, and how would I connect them? Do I need 5 for each motor? I think you were saying I should use 4, one going from the red wire to the blue wire, red to pink, red to yellow, and red to orange. Is that correct? In what orientation? (I have not used diodes yet...) Is my picture correct in connecting +5V directly to the red wire of each motor? Thank you!

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I think you were saying I should use 4, one going from the red wire to the blue wire, red to pink, red to yellow, and red to orange. Is that correct? In what orientation? (I have not used diodes yet...) Is my picture correct in connecting +5V directly to the red wire of each motor? Thank you!

That's all correct. Connect the cathodes of the diodes to the red wire and the anodes to the other wires. Almost any type of diode will do in this application, provided it is rated at not less than the coil current (100mA). I suspect that you don't actually need the diodes, because the flyback energy is probably much lower than the avalanche rating of the TPIC6B595; but it's better to be safe.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

Awesome. Thank you so much!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: