Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ArduinoWaker - discussion  (Read 880 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,

Just posted about ArduinoWaker (Arduino + EthernetShield, for wakeonlan & turning USB-controlled power strips) here:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/ArduinoWaker

Please post any comments / discussion regarding this here smiley

Cheers!

PS: And just one more thing smiley

Was trying to see what possible alternatives there could be for a similar device; the only thing I think comes close is one of those new "plug" computers, like the GuruPlug Server - in the sense that they are small, always on, and spend little power; but while they are full servers, they don't have any digital outs to control power strips with smiley (although I cannot imagine fitting them with a DB-25 would be too difficult)

So just as a little comparison: where I am, just a GuruPlug (power supply adapter included) would cost around 120 EUR; Duemilanove + Ethernet Shield + USB power strip w ground + power supply adapter would cost around 105 EUR (disregarding postage and packing, but including VAT).

Now, of course I do not want to start a discussion comparing apples and oranges here - just thought it was interesting to compare alternatives for devices that could fulfill the task of "waker" smiley (although, arguably as say GuruPlug does not have any controllable digital outs built in, such comparison is not necessarily very profound either)..

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:42:36 pm by smd » Logged

View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well, just a small update on the GuruPlug server: it seems that it does indeed offer 'naked pins' in a form of a U-snap port, which could be used for general purpose I/O (Generic digital I/O on GuruPlugs JTAG or USNAP port?), however that seems to require recompiling kernel modules for ARM architecture.

The plug also needs somewhat of a setup (GuruPlug - PlugWiki - 5.1 Notes), however the worst part is that these plugs (as their previous generation) seem to have a heating problem (GuruPlug Server Plus Heat Problems).

Hence the Arduino may still show itself as a better platform for a 'waker' smiley

Cheers!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: