Go Down

Topic: Is this an IR LED and does it work? Yes it is, yes it works and how I proved it. (Read 331 times) previous topic - next topic

jfox

I am new to Arduino, electronic circuit design, and assembly. Please excuse my crude methods. Perhaps my experience will help other newbies.

I harvested some components from a PCB pulled from an optical mouse. The mouse wheel has a bunch of slots cut in it. Mounted on each side are what I assume are an IR LED and IR sensor.

I want to see if it is an IR LED and if it works. My desoldering skills are horrible and it's possible that I overheated it.

I cannot normally see IR unassisted so I took my cell phone camera and pointed it at the TV remote and pressed the volume up button. I could see flashing violet light. My cell phone camera can detect IR.

I took the LED and hooked one lead to pin 13 and the other to ground with a 270 ohm resistor in the circuit on the ground side. I loaded the 'blink' example and executed it.

I pointed the cell phone camera it the LED. No joy. Then it occurred to me that I don't know which lead is anode and which is cathode. I flipped the LED around and can see it flashing.

Woohoo!

LarryD

The way you have it in your schematic isn't the same as how you have it wired up!

Runaway Pancake

"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

Go Up