Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Do I need a resistor for each LED?  (Read 1813 times)
Edison Member
Now, More Than Ever
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Most modern DMM have both separate resistor shunt(s) and separate fuse(s) for typically the two different current jacks.

Lefty

I have two of the same Fluke (70-series) meter.  I cleared the fuse in one of them (the mA) and replaced it with an "equivalent" rated fuse.  Then the readings were off.  I swapped the fuse with the other which still had its original and it was better.  I placed the "equiv" in the other meter and then it was off.

"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Most modern DMM have both separate resistor shunt(s) and separate fuse(s) for typically the two different current jacks.

Lefty

I have two of the same Fluke (70-series) meter.  I cleared the fuse in one of them (the mA) and replaced it with an "equivalent" rated fuse.  Then the readings were off.  I swapped the fuse with the other which still had its original and it was better.  I placed the "equiv" in the other meter and then it was off.

If you check your Fluke user's manual I suspect it says there are no 'equivalent' fuses for the meter and to only use fluke 'approved' fuses designed for the model in question. They are hellishly expensive also.

Lefty

Lacey, Washington, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Sorry, I have a handful of meters with no current measurement. And before that, I had meters that had relatively high resistance on the lower current ranges. With 0.1 ohms (typo said 0.7 ohm) on the 200.0mV scale, I can measure down to 1mA.

Probably not an issue with newer DMMs with lower current shunt resistors.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: